2004 cavalier 2.2 tranny swap auto to manual? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 cavalier 2.2 tranny swap auto to manual?
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:14 PM
hey guys i really need help on a 5speed swap, i have a 2004 chevy cavalier, and it has the ecotec 2.2, and its automatic, i need help on how to swap it to manual, what transmission do i need? where do i buy it from? what all has to be done to complete the swap without an engine light? and whatever else needed, i would greatly appreciate it soo much, thanx guys.....

Re: 2004 cavalier 2.2 tranny swap auto to manual?
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:15 PM
i THINK the F23 Getrag 5spd is what you need. but i KNOW for sure its a getrag, just has to be for the ecotec.

junk yard, ebay, you pull it's, classifieds on here, or gm dealership is where you can get one.

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:32 PM
Getrag rear trans mount to frame
TTR front trans mount to frame
Cut your auto trans mount off the frame
Shift cables from 00+
Shifter assembly 00+
Getrag F23 transmission
New drive shafts for 5 speed
5 speed engine harness and match your stock options ( abs, cruise, a/c) I had a hard time finding one for mine
pcm for a 5 speed
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake and gas pedal assembly for 5 speed
Clutch start safety switch ( splice into the THICKEST YELLOW wire coming from ignition switch on dash harness and before the connection with the engine harness) When you connect it with the engine harness, the wire on the opposing pin will be a thick Purple one.

Thats about it.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:14 PM
Thread resurrection.

Why do you need a 5spd harness? I know you'd have extra plugs but would you be able to get HPT and keep the auto harness as well as an auto PCM?

Only asking because I plan to 5spd swap my Cav.
Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:55 AM
You don't NEED the 5 speed harness per se... but it's easier to swap it for plug-and-play (read: fewer problems) than re-wiring the neutral safety switch and having to eliminate or hide all the extra automatic wiring.

To do it right (read: clean) you'd want to swap the dash harness too... so you get the right plugs for the cruise control and clutch safety switch.

If you have easy access to a wrecking yard with lots of J-cars... it shouldn't be too hard to find the right one. Or add the options your car didn't come with at the same time.... I found an 03 with ABS, A/C (was optional in Canada), cruise, fogs, Monsoon, etc... all the options I wanted in one shot.

...j

Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:57 AM
Oh, and here's a link to my site... how I did my 5-speed swap. Needs updating tho...

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search