Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9?
Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:25 PM
As mentioned in the title, I really want to get rid of my Isuzu tranny in leiu of a getrag tranny. I own a 98 sunfire GT LD9. I found a getrag tranny from an 00 Z24 cavy 2.4l with under 10k miles on it for a decent price. I want to know if this is the direct bolt-on getrag that I should get my hands on, instead of the earlier 90's getrags. Any suggestions???

Re: Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9?
Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:24 PM
the earlier getrag or nvg-t550 bolts right in but still require some modification to work properly.

the later getrag's (00-02's for the ld9 only) require the use of different mounts that need welded onto the frame rail, the entire 00-02 shifter assembly/cables AND you have to use the 00-02 flywheel and clutch.

its up to you which way you would like to go. personally, i think the nvg-t550 is a dead item, no parts are available for it any more and plus they were a small production. its a good strong tranny but the lack of availability part of it just sucks.

if you found an under 10k 00 ld9 getrag for cheap id say go this route if doing a decent amount of work doesnt scare you off. turbo tech racing sells the front mount i believe and gm sells the rear yet. plus you can get solid mounts to go right in and be used, no machining/lathing of one mount is necessary.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:41 PM
Any particular reason you want to swap?? The getrag isnt really any better. It is a lot heavier though.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:18 AM
The Isuzu tranny has 130k miles on it, and it is my understanding that they virtually implode upon any hard launch. I am building the car up for autox, and don't want to be left stranded....lol!

If the getrag isn't the answer, what is? (at least with the LD9 motor). I'm still contemplating swapping in an ecotec, but for the time being I am working with what is available.

On a side note, why can't I use the Fidanza flywheel and Exedy stage II clutch assy from the LD9 (currently in a 98 sunfire) with the 00+ getrags???
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:49 PM
Considering I have done more damage to Getrags than I have Isuzus I would have to say there is no solution. With the Eco your only option is the F23 Getrag.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:06 PM
funny how he says he doenst want the early 90s one but the direct bolt on instead......since the early 90s IS the bolt on...for the 00+ you will need to cut and reweld mounts,change the shifter assembly, etc...if you have a 98 ld9 the 92-94 getrag is a 99% DIRECT BOLT ON ...you need only to save your isuzu rear tranny mount, make a small spacer..and a small 1.5" extention for on the shifter links..thats is..done

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:49 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHh
They ant making them anymore, the less people know to use them, the better off I am if i ever build another LG0 for a J car...

90-94 trannys work great, as said above, make a shift bracket, and its done.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:10 PM
hahaha sorry didnt mean to let the secret out

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:34 AM
LoL. I would love to use the early 90's getrag tranny if I could ever find one! I've been searching for them for quite awhile now. I just happened to have a later getrag tranny deal fall into my lap.

Any clue on where to find the early 90's tranny?
Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:18 PM
1990-1994 GTZ, Grand Am, Cutlass's (A body cars) and all N body cars.

about anything with a 2.3 from 90-94.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, July 21, 2008 7:21 AM
rephrase..92-94...the 89-91 only had one mount...and ive already fought that battle and lost hard

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:54 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Any particular reason you want to swap?? The getrag isnt really any better. It is a lot heavier though.

I disagree. The 00+ getrag is way better than a isuzu tranny (95-99). I will not comment on the early getrags because I do not know them. I know many people including myself who have beat the @!#$ of of the 00+ getrags with no issues.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:30 PM
I get maybe 10K before I toast one. Several diffs now, many syncros. I have a friend that has done the same with newer Getrags. Yes I beat the living hell out of them but I dont grind the gears when I shift, only no lift shift once I am in second (I always lift for teh 1-2 shift), try to avoid spinning just one wheel. They are junk as far as I am concered. What I find even more amusing is that based on the info I was able to find for them a few years ago the F23 is only rated to handle 175 ft-lds.

I love my Isuzu in my 98. Its lighter, sportier feel to it, lasted 83K miles before I lost the diff due to a little to much tire spin in a corner. Put a new Isuzu in and fully expect this one to last me another 83K+.

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:32 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:rephrase..92-94...the 89-91 only had one mount...and ive already fought that battle and lost hard

Not in the L car's...... and the case's PN's from 90-92 (external slave) are all the same.......

90-94 should work, but 92-94 do have better FDR, IMO 92 is the best, better FDR, and a external slave.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:42 PM
Depends different people different luck with Isuzu mine wasnt so good. had only 45k on transmission when it basiclly explodes. It occurs from wheel spin, any kind of wheel spin. the trans isnt built to handle it.. however some people have had good expereince. Lucky for me i know hook up on trans , so i got 99 same trans with only 15k for 250$ hehe

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:48 PM
mitdr774 wrote:I get maybe 10K before I toast one. Several diffs now, many syncros. I have a friend that has done the same with newer Getrags. Yes I beat the living hell out of them but I dont grind the gears when I shift, only no lift shift once I am in second (I always lift for teh 1-2 shift), try to avoid spinning just one wheel. They are junk as far as I am concered. What I find even more amusing is that based on the info I was able to find for them a few years ago the F23 is only rated to handle 175 ft-lds.

I love my Isuzu in my 98. Its lighter, sportier feel to it, lasted 83K miles before I lost the diff due to a little to much tire spin in a corner. Put a new Isuzu in and fully expect this one to last me another 83K+.

You just need to learn how to drive........

I will admit, I trashed my first F23 @ 11k miles...... broke the plastic tip off the shift fork, took out 2nd gear syncros. BUT my F23's have lasted a lot longer, and to more abuse, then ANY Isuzu I've ever used (still running an Isuzu in our drag car, 4th one..... and my brother went threw 3 in his '98 before we swapped to the F23..... been fine ever sense)

The F23 was rated @ 175 ft/lbs...... but dont tell it that. Mine took 350+ ft/lbs, Fetter's 450 ft/lbs, and Spyhunter 450 ft/lbs..... Our Isuzu's cant take much more then stock power (or sometimes not even that).

In any case, its a FWD car, any trans you put in there is not going to be designed to take a ton of Trq.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:28 PM
trust me it isnt my driving alone. I know of several people who have destroyed F23's in normal driving, no abuse at all. Couple of diffs and many syncros. Id also like to know what causes a 5th gear syncro to fail? I can guarantee that i didnt abuse that one. They just arent as great as everyone makes them out to be. If they were I would have done a F23 swap in my 98 when it needed a trans. Im not saying th Isuzu is the greatest thing out there, because it isnt. I would love to have a NVG550 but tehy are almost impossible to find/repair now a days. They are out there but seem to be few and far between.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:47 AM
what clucth and flywheel needs to be used when you swap in the nvg? the 2.4 or 2.3?
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:41 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:I get maybe 10K before I toast one. Several diffs now, many syncros. I have a friend that has done the same with newer Getrags. Yes I beat the living hell out of them but I dont grind the gears when I shift, only no lift shift once I am in second (I always lift for teh 1-2 shift), try to avoid spinning just one wheel. They are junk as far as I am concered. What I find even more amusing is that based on the info I was able to find for them a few years ago the F23 is only rated to handle 175 ft-lds.

You just need to learn how to drive........

I will admit, I trashed my first F23 @ 11k miles...... broke the plastic tip off the shift fork, took out 2nd gear syncros. BUT my F23's have lasted a lot longer, and to more abuse, then ANY Isuzu I've ever used (still running an Isuzu in our drag car, 4th one..... and my brother went threw 3 in his '98 before we swapped to the F23..... been fine ever sense)

The F23 was rated @ 175 ft/lbs...... but dont tell it that. Mine took 350+ ft/lbs, Fetter's 450 ft/lbs, and Spyhunter 450 ft/lbs..... Our Isuzu's cant take much more then stock power (or sometimes not even that).

In any case, its a FWD car, any trans you put in there is not going to be designed to take a ton of Trq.

I agree!!!! I have found it is usually the people who say I know how to drive, or know how to shift that can't do either!! The people who have serious about drag racing have had good luck with the getrag. Seen way many more isuzu's explode diff's. I'm in no way saying getrags do not do this, because I know some have, but far more isuzu's than getrags.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:56 PM
Well I disagree with your suggestion that i dont know how to drive the car. I DO NOT abuse the second gear syncro, yet it is a common failure in mine and about 5 others that I have seen. If the third or forth gear syncros went out then I would have no problem addmiting that it was my driving as I have uterly abused those 2 on occasion. Second just seems very weak. One of my diffs is locked up on the passenger side only. Never tore that one apart to see exactly what happened. A friend has had multiple sets of spider and pinion gears shatter. Im not saying im the best driver out there but if I was able to keep a supposedly far weaker trans together for far longer driving it the exact same then I dont see how it its only my driving to blame. Now I have also seen Getrags beaten harder than I would have ever beaten mine and they held up. It just isnt as great as everyone makes it out to be. I stick with the Isuzu in my 98 because in my opinion it is the better transmission, just costs a hell of a lot more to replace with a new one. ($2050 verses $450)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:27 PM
125K on mine, bracket raced for 2 seasions, and raced for 4 years.....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:34 PM
justin stinespring wrote:what clucth and flywheel needs to be used when you swap in the nvg? the 2.4 or 2.3?

Depends on what 2.4 for a Getrag should be the same as for the NVG, but i may be mistaken.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:48 PM
Will the ECU read the newer Tranny with no problems?

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:52 PM
Dont see why not. Only input is VSS. If th two sensors produce teh same signal at the same speeds it should work (have to change the connector on the harness though).

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:53 PM
ok im sorry i guess my question was a tad general. swapping a 2.4 isuzu to an older nvg. what clucth and flywheel?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search