WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR???? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR????
Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:53 PM
So one day i went around a corner alittle faster then i normally do and the trans did some weird this where it put itself in neutral or something and the revved hard( I have an auto) so i took it to my mechanic and he said its fine. that was a week ago. now we come to today. I had to swerve outta the way of some dumb guy and his bmw because he decide he would change lanes without looking, anyway when i hit the gas and turned the wheel it made a horrible noise but the car was still moving.

my car was driven by an older man from 0k to about 96000km thats when i got it. I have put like just over 16000km on it in less than a year. I am wondering if i need to get the trans fluid flushed or if there is something else wrong with it.......

thanks
Doug

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR????
Friday, August 01, 2008 5:39 AM
you're due for a trans fluid flush, but it's normal for the trans to disengage with the hard turns. basically your fluid sloshes and the pickup tube is sucking air rather than fluid.

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:16 AM
uh that is not normal. Is it the 4 speed or 3 speed auto? The 4 speed is harder to check the fluid in and get it right. But your low on tranny fluid for sure. I had the same problem after my fluid and filter change in my 99 sunfire with the 4 speed. But would only do it if i took a hard turn to the left.

If you have a 4 speed if you look at the pan it is shapped like a L and filter pick up is only on the left of the L. Hence why taking a turn to the left would starve it of fluid because it would go all to the right. But after i checked the fluid agian and added what it needed it's been fine for a year.

And the hills and turns in wv are real winding and sharp and can pitch it into the turns as fast as i want. If it is a 4 speed though if you need to know how to check the fluid i can tell you.
Friday, August 01, 2008 9:30 AM
That reminds me of the sonata I used to drive back in the day. Apparently, the overdrive gear, aka 4th gear, was going out until it did completely. If i pushed the gas too hard the wheels would lose power and the engine would just rev up reallly high. Could only go like 40mph. Longest drive home from school ever.....

But, since that was an import and this is domestic, i dont know if it could be the same thing. It sounds like the first response to your question is right.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Friday, August 01, 2008 10:33 AM
senor you probably are right. The tranny might be failing, but i highly doubt it. The 4 speed can take a beating i can say that. My sunfire has been neglected since i bought it 3 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. I've neutral dropped it, burn outs, and manually shifting the gears getting the tranny hot. I changed the fluid in it at 105,000 and the fluid looked new and wasn't burnt. Right now i'm at 132,000 and it has a lil hint of 1st gear slipping but the others are fine.

But taking a turn with the tranny to low will kick in neutral. But if it drives fine other than turns more than likely the tranny is fine but just low. As long as he caught it early.

If the tranny fluid isn't low though like senor stated more than like the tranny is about gone.
Saturday, August 02, 2008 1:07 PM
check you fluid level, there's a good chance you're low.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, August 02, 2008 4:03 PM
oh and one other thing to add.......I was coming home on the highway and i was going with the flow of traffic (110km/h) and as soon as i got over 100km/h the car started shaking alot so I had to slow down cause I wasnt sure what the hell was wrong but I was just wondering if that has to do with the transmission or not!

Thanks for all the info too.
Doug
Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:21 PM
if it is to low or been like that for awhile the bearings where the axles pop in could be wore out. That was my problem as i found out last night. But it also could be tires, wheel bearing, tie rods or maybe bushings. My vibration though wasn't all the time sometime it would do it at 45 sometimes not till 75 80 or not at all. But mine was also more of a hopping but vibrated everything else. Check the fluid first though and post back with the results also if it is 3 or 4 speed.
Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:58 PM
Im pretty sure mines a 4 speed, its got 1-3 and drive, I m gonna get my tranny fluid changed at the transmission shop where mu buddy goes and ill ask the guy to take it for a spin to see whats wrong. But Im just wondering what could be the WORST thing wrong with my car and how much might i be looking at?
Sunday, August 03, 2008 10:04 PM
yup 4 speed. Check the fluid yourself like now or get in soon. Don't keep driving it if it is low.

I can help you out but check it yourself because the shop will probably try to tell you the tranny is shot went it isn't. To check it get the car up to operating temps. Like drive around town for 5 to 10 mins. Come back to your house leave it running.

Park the car some where kind of flat. Jack up the right side. You will see where the exhuast runs under the motor and you will see the flex pipe portion.

Craw under the car while running and look up at the back side of the tranny right before the flex pipe. To the left of the exhaust there is something like a 4 inch space with plug sticking out. Take it out and lower the car back down where it is level. Look under the car and see if it tranny fluid drips on the ground. If not jack the car back up craw under and see if it may have ran out the hole a little.

If not then it is low. Which for it to be slipping in turns i think i was like a qaurt and a half low. Yea i know a good bit. Lower the car back down. Now take the red cap of the top of the tranny underneath the black intake tube. You will more than likely need to have a long funnel.

Pour some fluid in and keep checking to see if it drips on the ground. If it still doesn't after a quart get in the car, push brakes and put in each gear back and forth for about 10 seconds. Put it back in park. Get back out and pour some more into it when it finally drips on the ground keep the car running jack it back up and put the plug back in.

Make sure you keep the motor runing while checking and with the plug out. do not shut it off with the plug out or you will have a big mess. And you will need i think a 12mm wrench or around that size. And if you need a pic of where the plug is i can take you one since i just pulled my 2200 and tranny today. o and post up if it was low
Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:12 PM
So i got my tranny serviced.....and all the fluids were at the proper levels and there were no metal grindings when the fluid was flushed. I also go new (proper size) tires for my car. anyway when I hit the gas or floor it it is noisier than hell and i have no clue what the hell is wrong with it. it has 111500KM if that helps!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search