AT-MT "swap" help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AT-MT "swap" help
Monday, February 09, 2009 4:21 PM
so im dropping in an ecotec into a 2000 z24. i have the AT harness and ECU and im using a F23 five speed from a saturn VUE (same connectors)

i know its been asked a thousand times, but i cant find it searching. maybe im searching for the wrong thing.

anyways, what do i have to do SPECIFICALLY to wire in the new transmission? the car used to have a 2.4 with a 5 speed. i swapped out the old body harness for the 03 spec harness since the old one had a shoddy alarm installed and around 400-500 feet of extra (useless) wiring.

i have the auto on hand so if you need to use something on there for a reference it would be helpful, otherwise a link to a thread of the same thing with pictures would be nice

thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Re: AT-MT "swap" help
Monday, February 09, 2009 7:12 PM

Throw the auto engine harness out, buy a manual one and reflash the PCM to a manual ecotec... ( there is a god awful amount of useless wires and connectors on the auto harness is only going to make things a nightmare. )

If you want to play that route ( i highly advise against it) you need to wire up the VSS, Reverse light switch as those are the only 2 electric sensors on the trans. You also have to tear apart the Neutral/clutch safety switch.

I have no idea what wires they are on an auto harness other than the Neutral safety is a thick yellow coming from the steering column and on a maunal harness its a thick purple.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:15 AM
im on a strict budget so i cant afford that route of getting the new one

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:46 AM
car-part.com bud... I snagged a harness for $50 bucks. U just gotta look, but if you can't go that way....

Find a wiring guide ( mines at home and i'm at college so i can't help) and look for the VSS and the Reverse light switch wires. Your also going to need pigtails for these as they are completely different than on the auto ( the VSS MAY be the same, I don't remember for sure).

The Clutch/nuetral safety start switch on the clutch pedal just needs to be wired into the large fat yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch on the column. On the auto's its yellow.

Other than what I said, i'm pretty sure your on your own. Everyone i've known ends up saying F-it and buys the manual harness...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:41 AM
well, i may have to just spend the money on teh manual harness.... damn

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search