2.4 Auto tranny Electrical Problems (Gear jumping,Clunking) - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Auto tranny Electrical Problems (Gear jumping,Clunking)
Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:48 AM
i have a 99 Z24 with a 4 speed tranny. lately i have been having problems with it. Some days it runs great (80% of the time), shift through gears smoothly with no problems at all. but sometimes i seem to get electrical problems. sometimes as soon as i start the car, first, when i put it into gear it engages instatly and make a loud clunk and the EPS??? light stays on. while driving its late shifting into the next gear and also clunks while shifting. i installed the B&M shift Plus a few years ago and havn't had any problems with it till now. it also make those hard shifts and clunks when the B&M is engaged, but it was off during these problems. the biggest problem was last night, i had to climb a 10% grade hill and i barely made it to the top, it would drop it into a lower gear for 5 seconds and then into the next gear for 5 seconds, no matter how much gas i gave it. i barley made it to the top and in that 2 km hill it must have shifted 20-30 times between the two gears and my speed dropped to a crawl, also the check engine light came on, but has since gone away.

Any ideas what it might be? my Z24 is in Europe and i can't go to junk yard for another, and parts are hard to come by.

Re: 2.4 Auto tranny Electrical Problems (Gear jumping,Clunking)
Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:53 AM
Hello, I have a question. I unfortunately have no answer for your actual issue. I did read that you had a B&M shift kit of some sort. I have a 98 Sunfire GT with the quad 4 engine & an automatic tranny. What shift kit do you have? I want to get one as well. Also, which transmission do we have? As in what is the name of the transmission? Thanks in advance for your help & I hope you get you issue addressed. Definitely sounds like you need some transmission help though!

TC.
Monday, August 24, 2009 12:00 AM
I'm having a similar issue, not quite as bad it seems. Do you mean the "ETS" light instead of "EPS?"

Philippians 3:10 (Amplified Bible)
10[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:35 AM
Yes the ETS light,

and i still have the problem, but the gear jumping only happened once. now the light just turns on and takes forever to shift. also yesturday while driving in town doing about 20 km/h and it felt like it was stuck in a low gear. i would give it gas and it would not shift and when i let go of the gas it would bog down like a 5 speed in 1st gear, when i turned a corner, it stalled! i also noticed today that the engine light comes on and the rad fan kicks on, but its not even near 90 degrees. what could this be?
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:11 PM
I'm new to the whole J body thing, heck, even car repair. Sounds to me like a head gasket, or maybe bad spark plug/wires. Just hope that the head isn't cracked. But I'm not anywhere near an expert.

Philippians 3:10 (Amplified Bible)
10[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
Friday, September 04, 2009 4:57 PM
I have had a similar problem w/ my '00 Z. Try this, take the car to a dealership, have them hook up a tech II and see if you have any codes, particularly TPS codes. Also, do the RPMs drop unusually low, like maybe 5-600?
Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:22 PM
sounds like the electronic traction system kicking in possible wheel sensor?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search