Car sometimes won't shift when running Manual Trans - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car sometimes won't shift when running Manual Trans
Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:01 AM
Ok, here is the problem I have been having just recently, 01 cavalier sedan, 5 spd manual trans. When the vehicle is turned off, I can shift into any gear, but sometimes when I start the car from neutral I will not be able to shift into any gear, I can turn the car off put it into first then start and drive it in first, but almost impossible to get out of that gear without turning the car off, shifting, then restarting. I took it to the garage when it first started this problem and sure enough it worked fine for them, also worked fine after I took it home, went to the store later that night and after getting there started to act up again when leaving, I have checked the fluid, it was a little low so added to top it off, I am suspecting either master or slave clutch cylinder? Any ideas before I just have the garage replace both and clutch since it is almost at 100K miles and figured it should be time for that clutch to be getting worn down and might need replaced soon anyway.

http://members.cardomain.com/alphawolf
http://www.sinisterjs.com

Proud Owner of a 2001 Cavalier Sedan!
Proud Member of the SinisterJ's Club

Re: Car sometimes won't shift when running Manual Trans
Friday, August 21, 2009 4:45 AM
Push the clutch in?

No really, pump the clutch, A LOT.

probably have air in the line.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Re: Car sometimes won't shift when running Manual Trans
Monday, August 31, 2009 5:19 PM
I had the same problem with my spec clutch, and it turned out the spring had popped out of the hub and kept hookin onto the flywheel, got a new clutch, and now its happened again, so i dunno, but thats what mine was, and it was the exact same symptoms. like actually identical

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search