Geo storm Spider Gears - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Geo storm Spider Gears
Monday, February 01, 2010 7:10 PM
I posted this in the misc section of the classifieds but figured that it would get more views here because there is not transmission section in the classifieds. I am wondering if anyone has a set of spider gears from a geo storm that i could put in my isuzu transmission. Let me know what you want for them and well work something out. thanks a lot.

Re: Geo storm Spider Gears
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:41 AM
I haven't seen or heard of anyone having some in a long time.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:42 AM
You would be better off trying to find the transmission and swap the differential or finding an GM/Isuzu trans from an early 90's 2.2L

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:56 PM
I just got done swapping the internals from a 92 dohc storm into my 2.2 isuzu case. And it's got the 4.11's too. Pretty straight forward swap. You can see how much beefier the spider gears look. I got the whole trans from a junkyard with 85000 miles on it, 159 after taxes.
Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:27 PM
did you have to take the trans out of the car yourself? I just know how much of a pain it is it take the trans out in my garage. To have to do that at a junkyard would be a real pain. I know from other times i have gone to pick and pull and speedwaysalvage yard it never goes the way you plan and without a jack and engine stabalizer i don't know how i would ge the trans out with the motor still in there. also if im just going for spider gears what cars and engines do i want to look for?
Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:02 PM
Brian Magnan wrote:did you have to take the trans out of the car yourself? I just know how much of a pain it is it take the trans out in my garage. To have to do that at a junkyard would be a real pain. I know from other times i have gone to pick and pull and speedwaysalvage yard it never goes the way you plan and without a jack and engine stabalizer i don't know how i would ge the trans out with the motor still in there. also if im just going for spider gears what cars and engines do i want to look for?

The transmission I got was already pulled. It was on a shelf. I know must pick and pulls charge like 75 (at least around here in Michigan). I feel the same as you though, it would really suck to pull one at a junk yard.

The stronger spider gears were in all of the Isuzu 5 speed transmissions from 1990-1994. So that includes Sunbirds, Cavaliers, Geo Storms, and Isuzu Impulses. However, you can only get the 4.11 gearset from the DOHC Strorms and Impulses. And then you have to swap the input shaft, output shaft, some of the bearings, and the reluctor wheel (Vehicle Speed Sensor) from the Cavalier's differential to the donor's differential.

But any of the vehicles listed above will have the stronger spider gears. They got weaker in 95.

Wes
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search