why is this happening now? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
why is this happening now?
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:22 PM
okay i have an 05 4dr ls automatic and i just hit 92000 miles, at about 3:20 this afternoon i got in my car and started it up, and pressed the brake and shifted to reverse and then shifted to drive and me car shifted really hard going in to reverse and drive and now its shifting really hard threw all the gears. would flushing out the transmission pan help and fix the prolem or is it possible i might of burned up the clutch? i need answer or suggestions as fast as possibly plz this is my DD.

Re: why is this happening now?
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:36 PM
well if the trans isnt sliping i wouldnt worry about it. If your trans isnt leaking and is shifting in to gear you sould be happy. For some reason the line pressure in the transmission is higher is it ware? is it finaly broken in? the only time you have to worry about a transmission if you 1 smell burnt fluid
2 the trans is leaking form its seals
3 flare up meaing the trans shifts realy late
the problem is you can take to some one and they will want money so they will say right away the car needs a new trans then will quote you sky high price. Then will say well i go a so and so out back that i can sell you thats better then what you have now.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:42 PM
well its shifting really hard and my Trac off and engine light is on now.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:00 PM
have them scanned, then report back.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:12 PM
First off, stop freaking out and demanding answers. Also, don't go overboard and assume that you burned up a clutch or are ready to flush out the pan or tear the mofo down.

To answer your question, there is a sensor called the IAT (intake air temperature) in the air intake tube between your air filter and your throttle body. If you disconnect this sensor (or break it), it will cause your transmission to slam the gears, turn off traction control, and eventually cause a check engine light. Look for this sensor, and see if it got unplugged, or its broken, etc.

If you recently installed an intake or air filter, then you forgot to plug this sensor back in. It's happened many times before, including myself.

Check this first, and see if it solves your problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:16 PM
well i have been having problems with my new AEM intake not staying on properly, could that be it?

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:20 PM
We have a winner!

Go look for that sensor. Hope that the wiring harness clip pulled off the sensor, and that you didn't rip the wires out of the wiring harness.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:27 PM
alright thanks man, i will check it out in the morning and keep you posted on it.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:41 PM
okay, it turns out the IAT sensor wires were torn up a bit so i reran them and now the lights have gone off and its shifting right.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:03 PM
good.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:09 AM
thank god i had this problem because in this happening i found out my ball joint and CV boot on the front right was cut and losing grease, so all in all i replaced my ball joint and my whole CV joint since i was already lowering my car and had the whole dang thing apart, only took me 7 hours to do, lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search