Isuzu Synchros - Yes, another synchro thread - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu Synchros - Yes, another synchro thread
Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:09 PM
I'm getting my 2.4 Isuzu tranny build together, and after only a year on a brand new set of synchros from www.drivetrain.com, first and second gear are already grinding on downshifts.

The first and second gear synchros are multi piece designs, where the 3rd 4th and 5th gear synchros are 1 piece, which seam to last longer.

So I've been looking through the rebuild kits on www.drivetrain.com and found out that I can order a 1990-93 Geo Storm 1.6 or 1.8L synchro kit with all one piece synchros. Part number DTSBK194WS.

Has anyone ever tried the 1 piece synchros from the older Isuzu transmissions? All the internals look identical other than gear ratios, so you would think if you could just swap gears for the different ratio's you could also just swap synchros.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: Isuzu Synchros - Yes, another synchro thread
Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:14 PM
This is relevant to my interests...

I beleive the answer is you can, since I've seen this discussed several times, but I'm not sure if you can swap only the synchros without changing anything else.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:09 PM
I am quite sure that you can. I mean, you can swap pretty much everything between the 90-94 and 95-99. Worst case is they don't fit and you send them back.

The one pieces are much stronger as you indicated.
Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:41 PM
Rock on, I just emailed Drivetrain.com, they sell full bearing kits with no synchros, and full overhaul kits that come with synchros, I'm hopeing they will just sell me the synchros, since all the bearings in my tranny are only a year old.

If they will sell them to me I'm going to give it a try.

I'm going to make this damn Isuzu last even if it kills me...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, May 17, 2010 9:44 AM
Haha, good luck. You should be able to buy just the synchros. If you can't, I THINK Autozone sells them.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:10 AM
Well I've been emailing back and forth with a rep from drivetrain.com, and the guy must think it's 20 questions or something... just sell me the damn parts I asked for...

He seems adimit on selling me the multi piece synchros, probably because they are a good $50 more for the set... I'll keep pushing for the one piece synchros though.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:14 AM
If it comes down to it, you can always do the 90-94 DOHC Geo internals swap with the 4.11. It won't be new, but I am sure it will be much stronger than what you have now. And then you don't have to dis-assemble the input and output shafts. It would be nice to have the new stuff though...
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:59 AM
Dissasembling the shafts is the easy part, haha. But 4.11 is too low for me, I've got W41 cams waiting to go in, and first gear is already lively enough.

Not to mention I still wouldn't have 1 piece synchros.

I'm waiting on another response, he seems to be skirting my two main questions, how much they are, and if they will sell me just the synchros.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:54 PM
I was quite sure all of the 90-94 Isuzu 5 speeds, including the Geo, had the 1-piece synchros. But if you are gonna be making all that low end, the 4.11 would blow the tires off. Haha.

I wish I would have kept my 3.58 gear, I swapped to the 4.11 with the other DOHC internals before I went turbo. My first and most of second are gonna be a waste.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:30 PM
Well this guy is saying that some of them came with 1 piece synchros and others with 3 piece. Hopefully he replies soon so I can get them on their way.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:53 PM
interesting as i need another rebuild on mine. went to the track and couldn't shift the second gear at all. 50% of the time...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:07 PM
definitely subscribed.

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:17 AM
Bit of an update, I can buy just the synchros for $139 +S&H, and I can return it as long as the packaging isn't unsealed. So I'll be doing by best to take measurements of each synchro before removing them from the shrink wrap.

I'm working on getting a part number for just the synchros, then it's fingers crossed

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:46 PM
I just realized you can buy just the synchros from a dealership too, it would probably be a bit more expensive though.
Friday, May 21, 2010 4:51 PM
I just ordered the one piece synchros, lets hope they work

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:53 PM
sweet. i really think you should go with the 4.11's too man. even if its 1 or 2 tenths faster it'd be well worth it. especially since you have the stuff to do it right there.

i say its a no brainer. do it to it.

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:09 PM
It's still gotta be a DD man.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:38 AM
lol so?

if it gets WORSE than 30mpg after that tiny gear ratio change then you can worry but i doubt it will.

even still, dont like what they do... swap back. done and done.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:40 AM
Yeah, first gear and most of second is a waste with 4.11's and boost. I have thought about swapping first and second from a SOHC Isuzu to help

I know mine has issues going into 2nd after the rebuild. I am not sure if it is the new syncros or not

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:57 AM
z yaaaa wrote:lol so?

if it gets WORSE than 30mpg after that tiny gear ratio change then you can worry but i doubt it will.

even still, dont like what they do... swap back. done and done.

It's just not worth it to me man, if I was building a track car or a weekend warrior I'd be all over it, but I want it to still be tame on the highway.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:59 PM
LOL fine... save the 4.11 @!#$ for me when you build my trans.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:27 PM
I would if I had any, the Storm tranny I have has some weird FDR in it... it's not a 4.11, I think it's actually lower than my 2.4 FDR.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:03 PM
If it's a from a SOHC Storm, it's a 3.83 FDR.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:29 PM
When I calculated it it was a 3.3 FDR, I'm going to triple check, but I already double checked...

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:57 AM
I was just doing some math and it seems that 3.94 gears with SOHC 1st - 4th maybe quicker than any 4.11 set combination I have found

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search