VSS or Speedo? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VSS or Speedo?
Monday, March 28, 2011 5:23 PM
I just swapped a newer transmission into my cavi. It has been sitting in storage for over a year now. I was out road testing it, and noticed the speedo was shooting up super fast, and would almost like step down when it went down, but stuck at 40mph. Now it's stuck straight down (like a 140mph area).

Would this be a speedo problem, or should I go and take the old VSS out of my transmission and put it in this one? If so, which part is the VSS on the getrag? The round one you can get out with a socket, or is it the flat one on the passenger side of the trans?

Re: VSS or Speedo?
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:07 AM
bump

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:57 PM
Its the one under the shifter cables on the back passenger side of the transmission. Also, it has the same plug in as the coolant temp sensor. Don't ask me how I know....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:09 PM
Haha I bet that gave the computer an awkward reading.
I will try to swap it out this weekend and see if thats the problem or not. Looks like just one bolt holding it in, we'll see what happens!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:44 AM
My speedo gauge wasnt moving like normal, and my temp gauge was bouncing up and down like crazy as I was driving. Took less than 5 minutes to figure out what i did.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:02 PM
Can you do me a really really big favor?
Take a picture of the grounds on your transmission! I think I grounded out one point of the harness in the wrong spot on the front of the trans when it actually should be on the side of the bellhousing. This could be my issue, but I'm not home to mess with it until Friday.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:31 PM
There are two grounding points on the transmission. One where the negative cable bolts to the top bellhousing bolt/stud. The other is a stud that screws into the side of the transmission facing the radiator fan assembley. As long as its grounded onto the case it wont matter where you ground it at.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:07 PM
Well I swapped out the sensors, and no dice. So looks like I'm gonna be buying a speedo, now I wish I could find a cheap Sunfire cluster again...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search