Differential or Motor Mount? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Differential or Motor Mount?
Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:47 AM
When i let out the clutch from a stop, sometimes i hear alot of clunking(like rapid fire clunkclunkclunk fast) in the front end, like a shaking and clunking. My pedal is smooth so i know it's not clutch chatter, the whole car shakes as it clunks. Also sometimes in any gear while slowing down(mostly 2nd) at lower rpms ~1500, the car shakes and bucks all over(its not as violent as other threads describe, but compared to other stick cars, its pretty bad), once i press the clutch, it stops.

Someone told me upper control arm bushings could do this, but we do not have upper ones, and the lower parts all look ok, ive recently done the Dog Bone mount(torque mount) but when i rev, the upper mount has maybe a half inch movement both ways, maybe little more, not sure if that's normal, i know under load and trying to pull the car, it will probably move more..

How much movement should the Upper motor mount have? how to check?
Would this also be a transmission mount? if so which one? and how to check them?
Everything else on the front end seems tight, i dont know what else to check for this

Searching through topics, ive found these isuzus suck and this may be the diff which i'm hoping it's not....any sure way to tell if it is?

...thanks!, btw its a 1995 2.2 ohv with 103k miles, probably original mounts except the dog bone which i just replaced

Re: Differential or Motor Mount?
Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:54 AM
Or could it be the clutch? Do old clutches become sticky? 103k isnt that much, but ill admit, i do beat on it sometimes.. i ask this because sometimes when it's raining or foggy out, it will clunk and have a "grabby" clutch the first few take offs and it sounds exactly like this

again the Clunk noise/violent shaking when taking off from 1st is random, but the shaking when slowing down is most of the time but sometimes it doesnt

Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:29 AM
Best way to describe it.....the feeling and sound are EXACTLY like launching a car with terrible wheel hop, the thing is, this happens to me while normal driving starting in 1st or reverse

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:16 AM
Don't know, sounds like clutch chatter. Simple thing is, car with that many miles, and abuse, just replace the clutch assembly.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:53 AM
SLOCAV wrote:Don't know, sounds like clutch chatter. Simple thing is, car with that many miles, and abuse, just replace the clutch assembly.

Clutch chatter you'd feel through the pedal, am i right? i mean that would be a good explaination to this, but the pedal feels fine. I checked motor mounts this morning by pulling the e-brake with hood open and watching the motor as i try to drive, it seems maybe 3/4-1 inch movenment, that seems normal i guess. Then after that, i tried to make the noise happen, and i just could not get it to happen, wouldnt a bad diff do it all the time?

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:56 AM
My car chatters like hell if i take it slow (6 puck clutch), and I don't feel it in the pedal, it just feels like a slipping clutch that is grabbing rapidly. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to get a newer trans for your car if you are worried about it, they are a dime a dozen at a yard.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:03 PM
Hmm well it seems to happen randomly, slow or fast, it doesnt matter, sometimes its fine, sometimes its like an earthquake....im not gonna drop it to change the clutch, then have to drop it again to change the trans, they are pretty cheap from the boneyard though...i guess ill just ignore it till it gets worse for now. The clutch doesn't slip and grabs nicely, i cant chirp tires anymore but that's old clutch sign.

One thing did happen, the other day i slammed 2nd pretty hard and there a loud noise, kind of like a pop, or a clunk, like a mix of both noises, not really sure how to explain it....like a thud noise.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:10 PM
Remove your lower control arms and replace the bushings. Also make sure that the mounting nuts are not rusted through, welds broken or loose. Ive had clunking on decel before and it was the large rear bushing metal sleeve that had rusted off. Good luck. Hope you find the culprit.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:55 PM
Chelotus wrote:Remove your lower control arms and replace the bushings. Also make sure that the mounting nuts are not rusted through, welds broken or loose. Ive had clunking on decel before and it was the large rear bushing metal sleeve that had rusted off. Good luck. Hope you find the culprit.

Drove all day today, hasnt happened, but i do get some random single clunks but not that loud so ima just throw a guess and say it's either a weak tranny mount/bad control arm bushing mixed with clutch chatter

thanks guys

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search