Help isuzu trans rebuild - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help isuzu trans rebuild
Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:13 PM
Is there any secrets on putting the shifer rods in the holes and keeping the little pill shaped things in their spot. I put all the pills in place and tightened the cover on top of them. then as im putting the sifter rods for 1-2 and 3-4 in with the gear stacks and everything the pills keep wanting ti fall into the shifer rod holes. Im getting really frustrated wioth this so any help is very appreciated.

also the original spider gears that were in the diff weren't in that bad of shape but the diff was making (almost a griding noise) a noise that sounded like when a kid puts a baseball card in his bike spokes. It would be consistant to speed so I naturally figured it was the diff. It only make the noise on deceleration when the gears werent under a load. when i took the diff out the spider gears that were heald in by the bar had a little play in them so i fugured that was the cause of the noise. (everything wasnt tight they would slide back and forth a little). Now that a trans shop has put my hardened gears from a dohc storm trans in the same gears have a little play in them. I am wondering is that gonna make noise like my original gears made? He didnt shim the gears. Was he supposed to check that. I still have the diff out so I was gonna take it up there and ask. Just didnt want to go up there without having a clue what i was talking about. (whether the gars needed to be shimed or not.

Thanks a lot,

-Brian

Re: Help isuzu trans rebuild
Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:24 PM
I wish there was a tip I could give you, but I just messed with it until it went. I spent a few hours trying to get all the rods to go in smooth. The only thing I can say is try putting a little wheel bearing grease on the "pills" to hold them. As far as putting them together, don't use brute force. It will all fit together like a puzzle if you do it right.

I am sure the shop knows what they are doing, and the slop that is in the differential gears is fine. My Storm DOHC gears had some too, and no noises from mine. I can say that the "card in the spokes" sound was from the diff, even if you couldn't see it. Mine sounded like that about a month before it went, it would have kept getting worse if you didn't fix it.
Monday, May 30, 2011 4:10 AM
Yeah wes I'm sure the shiop did it right too i"m just worried because like i said there is a little play in my original gears and they make noise so seeing a little play in my new gears just leads me to believe that it will make noise too. I'd just hate to fight with this trans geting it all back together and everything and putting it in to find that the diff makes noise with the hardened gears.
Monday, May 30, 2011 4:25 AM
Also wes I am wondering if the bearings on the diff were bad if they would make a similar noise. reason why I ask is cause I have had this diff with the new gears in the car for about 2 weeks now and (already rebuilt the trans 1 time) when I would be in 3-5th i could notice the same "card in the spokes" sound. Wasnt as loud as the trans with the bad diff but was faintly still there none the less and it was on acceleration and deceleration but like I said was only noticeable in 3-5th. The shop said my bearings looked good but they also have about 100K on them. U thing I should go ahead and change them or would the bearings not make a sound like that?
Monday, May 30, 2011 1:31 PM
Usually the bearings would make more of a "whizz" or hum sound if they were bad, or like a blender if they are really shot.
Monday, May 30, 2011 8:48 PM
When you installed this diff, did you put in new bearings at that time? Or did you use the old bearing races in the trans with the bearings on the new diff? Did you check to make sure the Pinion and Ring gear were making correct contact?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:23 AM
Put trans back together yesterday and put in car. runs great. It makes a little of the same noise around 80 and faster but cant tell its very faint now. Something myst have not been aligned properly. No Speed racer i didnt put new bearings on. I brought the transfer case diff and shafts with me when i went to the shop and he said they spun smooth and were in good shape so i just went ahead and threw everything back together. Thanks for all your help. the writeup from transporter is what really gave me the confidence to tear it apart.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search