loose floppy shifter... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
loose floppy shifter...
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:53 PM
I've noticed over the course of my cars life, (120k miles) on my 04 cav, the shifter gradually gets a little more play in it. Today, something kind of popped a little and now I can move this shifter all OVER while its in gear. I took the boot off and it looks like the cup that holds the bottom ball of the shifter is super loose and moves all over with the ball. It still goes into gear, and shifts fine, but when going from 3rd to 2nd its a little harder to get into. What causes this? How should I go about fixing this? I put in a cosmo short throw at about 80k miles.

Re: loose floppy shifter...
Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:34 AM
time for new cables.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:25 AM
No kidding? It seems its just the assembly under the shifter, but im assuming you can't just buy the box? Gotta get cables and everything?
Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:56 AM
wait the bottom ball where the cables mount or the pivot ball?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:42 AM
I haven't torn it apart yet, but it looks like the pivot ball. The light gray cup that houses the pivot ball moves all over in there
Friday, June 03, 2011 4:54 PM
honestly man the cables for our cars are @!#$. i wouldnt be surprised if urs were @!#$ up.

Friday, June 03, 2011 7:41 PM
yea your cables are probably screwed. mine went on my 97z and dude i had to search for gears lol. i had 1st and that was it. it got suuuuper sloppy.

Turbo lag is a courteous head start
Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:00 AM
Well nothing has went out yet. When starting in first, its still super easy to go from 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. The ONLY kind of trouble is downshifting to second, or going from 3rd to first when stopping or something. Its still not that bad, just annoyingly floppy when in gear. When in 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse its just the usual shaft play. Only 3rd and 4th seem to flop around. It really seems to be the cup that houses the ball on the short throw.
Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:28 AM
it will go out with a few hard shifts, i just had this problem last week, no joke. before the cable broke i noticed the same symptoms you did. it eventually got super hard to shift into 3rd gear

Saturday, June 04, 2011 4:16 PM
Well that sucks! Anyone have a part number for this? Or maybe the cheapest place to find them? These cars are pretty rare in the junkyards around my parts
Saturday, June 04, 2011 8:38 PM
ITs a factory or junkyard item unfortunately

Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:53 PM
honestly shift cables are a cheaper route than a whole new shifter. check out partshotlines.com it searches junkyards around the nation.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:54 AM
Chances are the o-ring for the shift pivot is bad or the actual cup is worn out. Its pretty common. You can pull it apart and find an o-ring the correct diameter and replace it and see if it helps.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:36 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Chances are the o-ring for the shift pivot is bad or the actual cup is worn out. Its pretty common. You can pull it apart and find an o-ring the correct diameter and replace it and see if it helps.

This, o-ring went in my 02' cav and I had the same symptoms.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search