differential debate - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
differential debate
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:09 PM
ok soo i was just throwing the idea to a friend of mine that works at a trans shop that he should put an lsd in my car.... so ive been doing some searching and my choices that i can afford are team green which i have no idea how ppl talk so much about them but whenyou google them nothing at all comes up... and the phantom wich is like 300 bucks..... i reall like what ive heard about the tg insert but does anyone know where i can buy it? i mean im sure the phantom is going to be better than stick so its not a total loss but id rather have the tg lsd...

Re: differential debate
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:27 PM
No the phantom grip is an Ok LSD for a couple thousand miles while it puts a ton of shavings into your tranny fluid, and then its garbage. Get the OBX and modify it like they say to on the honda forums. The TG is just a better version of the PG.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, August 12, 2011 8:14 PM
i never had one issue with my phantom grip in my isuzu... had in for over 10,000 miles. always worked pretty good... with only 151whp that is lol.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:04 AM
Wait until you change your tranny fluid.

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:39 PM
i did twice... i started out with synthetic and it made the gears whine, it sucked balls. swapped back to gm syncromesh, and dropped it after 2000 miles. didnt see anything in either drop....

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:06 AM
Just wait. It will be full of metal shavings from the PG pads and the spider gears.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:11 AM
if the spider gears deteriorate you'd better be slandering the team green and PG unit's, too....

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:34 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i did twice... i started out with synthetic and it made the gears whine, it sucked balls. swapped back to gm syncromesh, and dropped it after 2000 miles. didnt see anything in either drop....

Have you checked your speed sensor? All the shavings mine created were stick to it and the magnet in the bottom of the tranny. Which is why mine went back together with ANOTHER Geo diff and no LSD insert.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:22 PM
well its been the better part of a decade ago lol so its hard to remember but i dont recall seeing any shavings of any kind in there at any point.

i do know the tranny shop that installed it told me they had to take some material off the spider gears for it to work properly when i had them do it way back when... no idea if thats why mine is good or not just thought id point it out.

you didnt run the LSD in this time? i get that shavings in the fluid is a @!#$ty deal but @!#$, plenty of people run these inserts and are fine...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search