LSD's And Clutches - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSD's And Clutches
Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:13 PM
I am looking into buying an LSD and would like everyone's opinion on them. I am looking at 3 units

1. Team Green- Is this worth $250? Does it actually work?
2. OBX LSD- this is around $300 but its made in China. I dont want my tranny to fall apart on the track. Anyone use this?
3. Qualify- This is around $950 but its made in GB. Anyone have this?

Clutch-

1. Spec- I am looking at a stage 3 or 4, I have heard alot of bad and good.
2. Bulley- ?
3. Centerforce?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Re: LSD's And Clutches
Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:59 PM
I plan on running Team Green, and Bully Stage 4, 6 Puck.
Just based on my own research.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:04 PM
I don't know if you have read this or not:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556

The author said that he had been rocking it for 60,000 miles and many others on the last page also gave great longevity reviews.

I don't have any personal experience with either LSD or the Team Green insert. Based on the reviews on club rsx I am going to purchase a OBX when the time comes.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:06 PM
OBX wont break per se, but you may never be able to get the axle out without damaging the axles.

Spec, avoid, centerforce, avoid.

I've heard good stuff from bully.

Now the stock pressure plate with an act 6 puck or even 4 puck clutch disk would be great. They sell both that fit the car. Summit has figured out the interchange between act clutch disk and at least the 2.2 cobalt (which will be the same) so you can shop that way.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:53 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:OBX wont break per se, but you may never be able to get the axle out without damaging the axles.

Spec, avoid, centerforce, avoid.

I've heard good stuff from bully.

Now the stock pressure plate with an act 6 puck or even 4 puck clutch disk would be great. They sell both that fit the car. Summit has figured out the interchange between act clutch disk and at least the 2.2 cobalt (which will be the same) so you can shop that way.

You have to modify the obx to work the way it should. Its easy to rebuild and works well with 500+ ft. lbs to the wheels...

Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:00 PM
I personally have run 2 spec clutches on my stroker ...a stage2 and stage3 ...i didnt have a problem with either one, ever.....currently running the stage 3 and love it.
I also have the TeamGreen LSD...it does what its designed to do. i used mine for 2 years, on the road and the track, took apart the tranny to repair a leak on the case and checked the insert while i was there and found little to no wear at all, sealed it back up and kept on running it.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:10 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:OBX wont break per se, but you may never be able to get the axle out without damaging the axles....

I have heard that as well, here is a quote from club rsx: "Mine is [sic] doing fine as well. Multiple track days and autcrossing and the OBX unit is holding up just fine. The only thing I did was machine the splines were the axles go so that I can pop the axles out later down the road."

Do you have any knowledge of how the machining was done?

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:18 PM
No idea on the machining, only heard that it happened. It likely just a chamfer on the inside of the splines inside the housing.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:20 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:No idea on the machining, only heard that it happened. It likely just a chamfer on the inside of the splines inside the housing.

This is correct... This is best done on a lathe but can be accomplished on a mill with an indexing table.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:26 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:I personally have run 2 spec clutches on my stroker ...a stage2 and stage3 ...i didnt have a problem with either one, ever.....currently running the stage 3 and love it.
I also have the TeamGreen LSD...it does what its designed to do. i used mine for 2 years, on the road and the track, took apart the tranny to repair a leak on the case and checked the insert while i was there and found little to no wear at all, sealed it back up and kept on running it.

Something that I have been wanting to know about the Team Green. While in a tight corner will the axles act as though they are locked or will the inside wheel turn slower?

I have seen this asked many times but I have never heard a definitive answer.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:31 PM
I have a Team Green insert and it has worked great for me.

For a road track car I would think a OBX (modified) would be better.

I'm on a Spec stage 2 and also installed many Spec clutches. All of them still going with no issues.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:48 PM
durandall05 wrote:
scott (section8cav) wrote:I personally have run 2 spec clutches on my stroker ...a stage2 and stage3 ...i didnt have a problem with either one, ever.....currently running the stage 3 and love it.

Something that I have been wanting to know about the Team Green. While in a tight corner will the axles act as though they are locked or will the inside wheel turn slower?

I have seen this asked many times but I have never heard a definitive answer.

i dont have problems in corners, high speed or parking lot. I have however gotten both wheels to break loose and the front end slide sideways when im pulling out at an angle IN THE RAIN .
keep in mind it wouldnt happen if i didnt give it so much gas, after i got used to it was never an issue

Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:51 PM
I run the TG LSD in my Sunflower. Works pretty good. And I originated the stock pressure plate/ACT 6 puck disc setup a few are now running. Still holding great with 300+ ft/lbs torque and horsepower. When and if it starts to fail me, I will post and let everyone know its limits.

On the other hand, my friend is running an Exedy stage 2 clutch with the OBX LSD in his Cobalt.. Only thing required is proper shimming. In our case, the shim on the pinion gear side was simply removed, and on the other side a .010" thinner shim was used in place of the factory shim. NOTHING else was done to the unit. We didn't even split it apart, I just checked the torque of the bolts holding it together. After assembling and getting it on the ground, we had to take the transmission back out for an unrelated problem. (FVKCING ARP flywheel bolts were too tall and not letting the clutch disengage!!! ) I was worried, but the axles came back out just fine. Been going good for a month or so now.

And FWIW, the shims on the Getrag differentials are basically the same as an old-school Chevy rear end!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:28 AM
I had a TGLSD on my red cav and it eliminated the tq steer when it was on the bottle, it's been in the car over 50k miles and going strong last my friend told me. I've run spec clutches in both my cars and I loved the spec 3 but not the stage 2. The blower on the eco ate the stage 2 for lunch so I swapped to the act clutch disc on a spec pressure plate and never had an issue.

Friday, October 07, 2011 10:56 AM
Hummm so much into to go through.

So my questions are.

The team green vs an OBX/Qualify what have you noticed the being the difference?

For the spec, I plan on shooting for around 400hp. I am getting a lot of mixed reviews on this clutch. I had a centerforce and I agree it does not hold power. It was slipping with the M62.

Thanks for all the responses. This truly will help me decide on who I go with.

Mark

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:20 PM
for 400hp I would go with a Spec 3, or 3+.

Recently driven a 3+ and actually like it more compared to a 3 I have driven.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:33 PM
I run T/G with clutchmasters twin disc. Love it. If I had gone with anything different it would be the bully stage 4 or 5. or Clutchmasters lower series. Twin disc takes a bit of getting used to, but I love mine now and it will take any abuse I ever throw at it.

I have driven a spec stage 2, 3, 3+ and they all sucked. Not once, did the pedal engage in the same spot as before. The 3+ was better than the 3, but still all over the place.

ive driven a bully stage 4 and like it too.

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:59 PM
I think you are refering to the Quaife LSD and not the Qualify. I have a Quaife LSD in my trans and it is phenominal, the OBX unit is a direct copy of the Quaife, that being said IMO you get what you pay for. Quaife LSD come factory in the Supercharged and Turbocharged Cobalts, SRT-4's, SRT-10 Vipers...the list goes on.

I personally wouldn't buy the OBX unit, but alot of people have had great success with them, there is a good write-up on here about the modifications you should do before installing the unit.

I also have a Bully clutch, after reading on here it seemed to be the way to go, however....I @!#$ hate the thing. It is by far the WORST clutch I have ever driven. As a comparison, my buddies Clutchnet.com $300 6-puck clutch is much nicer than this unit.

I got a Stage 3 6-puck disk with just an OEM pressure plate, for starters the engagement is all over the place, sometimes it starts engaging at the bottom, sometimes at the top, sometimes in the middle, SOMETIMES starts engaging at the bottom then stops for the middle of the clutch throw, then starts again at the top.

It chatters worse than any 6-puck I've ever driven, is squeals louder than any 6-puck I've ever driven, and has the worst slipping room of any 6-puck I've ever driven. My buddies 4-puck un-sprung drives better than this clutch....true story.

And before anyone asks, yes its installed properly and yes the flywheel was machined down to the correct spec.

It does grab like a son of a bitch tho....but hell.....first and last Bully clutch I will ever buy.

/rant about Bully clutches.

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:13 PM
the all over the place is the pressure plate, not the clutch itself. the 6 puck makes its easier to drive than a 4 puck.

My twin disc squeaked until it broke in and whirrs all the time when the clutch pedal is pushed in and I love it. Sounds amazing haha. I have people tell me all the time that it sounds broken, I say nope, its just the clutch telling me to give it more hp/tq.

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:25 PM
Quaife Yes.

Dam u guys. Now I was looking at the bully and now Im back to square one lol.

Ok $950 for the quife, Im in.

More reviews of other clutches please.

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:26 PM
ON a side note. I do have a spare F35 tans from my ion with a LSD in it. I wish it would fit.

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:13 PM
Where did you find a Quaife for $950? Last I looked I couldn't find them for cheaper than $1,500.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, October 07, 2011 2:22 PM
I get wholesale pricing. Might be a little cheaper than that actually.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:49 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:the all over the place is the pressure plate, not the clutch itself. the 6 puck makes its easier to drive than a 4 puck.

My twin disc squeaked until it broke in and whirrs all the time when the clutch pedal is pushed in and I love it. Sounds amazing haha. I have people tell me all the time that it sounds broken, I say nope, its just the clutch telling me to give it more hp/tq.

The pressure plate was supplied by Bully.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:51 AM
OEM wrote:Quaife Yes.

Dam u guys. Now I was looking at the bully and now Im back to square one lol.

Ok $950 for the quife, Im in.

More reviews of other clutches please.

It would seem like clutches on this site are a shot in the dark....some say Spec sucks, some say they are awesome, Some say Bully sucks, some say they are awesome, same goes for Clutchmasters and the rest of them.

If it was me, Clutchmasters would be getting my money if I had to buy a clutch again, My buddy has one in his SS/TC and it is fantastic.

I wish ACT made clutches for the Ecotec

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search