What determines torque capacity? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What determines torque capacity?
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:46 AM
Does anyone know what defines a transmission's torque capacity? I have a 2008 Cobalt with an L61 and manual trans (F23, I think). Wikipedia says the F23's torque capacity is around 170 ft lb. Is the clutch what defines this? Or will the gears or other internals break if you apply too much torque? I'm asking because I want to eventually get my Cobalt up to the 300 hp range. I'm currently only at 180 If I need to replace/upgrade the clutch/trans, I'd rather know ahead of time so I don't go too far unknowingly and break something. Does anyone have any knowledge about how a transmission's torque capacity is defined? Or any experience with this trans or replacing for other, stronger transmissions? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
The Ecosprout.

Re: What determines torque capacity?
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:09 AM
The f23 holds at least 500 ft/lbs, as a few members of this site has demonstrated

Re: What determines torque capacity?
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:31 PM
As long as you don't wheel hop you should be fine. I blew my spider gears at the track wheel hopping with DOT-R tires on a stock sunfire but that was 100% my fault. What defines the torque capacity of the transmission would be it's weakess parts which is the differential but it has a lot to do with your driving habits and if you abuse your car.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search