possible trans noise anyone else? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
possible trans noise anyone else?
Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:03 PM
on my beater - 02 Z Ecoswapped, lowered on canucks, spec stage 3 clutch w/fidanza flywheel. 115,000km's.

Anyways, no noise on acceleration, but i get almost like a brake dragging noise on decel with clutch out, say on the hwy going onto an off ramp or going down a hill not on the gas. Put the clutch in noise goes away, drop it in neutral and let the clutch out still no noise. only when its in gear and i'm costing.....most noticeable over 60km/h, down shifting and letting it rev high around a corner from time to time i'll let almost a screeching sound. All seems to come from front drivers side area. I'm planning on changing the axle, thinking possible bearing in the trans but would think i'd always get noise, figured i'd ask see if anyone else has had something similar.
thanks

Re: possible trans noise anyone else?
Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:28 PM
GM had a couple of TSB's on Getrag noise years ago. One fix involved overfilling with Saturn MTF. (Synchromesh)

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:32 PM
Sounds like a clutch flywheel issue.... Especially since its during decel only when the engine is braking on its own. is it 115K km on that clutch/flywheel? It COULD be the trans, but since its on decel, with clutch engaged, and doesnt do it while its disengaged, nor does it do it under load. My guess is on decel, the engine braking is causing the combo to drag while spinning. Only option sounds like is to tear it apart...

Sunday, November 06, 2011 8:21 PM
Naw if I had to put a number on it probly maybe 10,000km on the clutch. I'd like to put a stock clutch back in it, as the thing will be just Stupied in the snow, at the moment I'm affraid I have little to no motivation to work on it. Be real nice just to figure out what's making it you know.
You think the clutch Is dragging? I dunno, thing grabs hard, real hard, could prob chirp 4th

Sunday, November 06, 2011 8:38 PM
i dont doubt it can chirp 4th if you wanted. But the way you describe it, its only on decel, in gear.

Does it do it in every gear or only select gears? I would think if its the trans itself, you would feel it while accelerating as well. It could very well be the slave also. When you are in neutral, things are still spinning so you should feel it if it were gears there. Slave could be sticking too which is causing the clutch to feel like its dragging some. Sounds like no matter what you gotta open it up and take a look. Especially since you cant see much in the inspection hole. whats your fluid look like? Any puddles underneath the car?

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:14 AM
yea as far as i can tell it is indeeed on decel in gear, smooth and quite on acceleration. I'm pretty sure its every gear, althought its more noticable from higher speeds, but i do belive i still get a faint noist at lower speeds 1-2nd. I'll have to head back out and look tonight but iirc nothings leaking on the driveway, i do remeber the clutch fluid looking dirty. One thing i should have added is the car has been sitting for a year or so

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:04 PM
If its been sitting for that long, I would def look at the slave. You can get a little rust built up where the slave slides. Not to mention the dirty fluid... first, cheap, quick easy, step, bleed the clutch. Could have moisture absorbed into the fluid and could be causing issues. Safe to assume you know how to bleed it just keep bleeding it til the reservoir is full with clear fluid, same as with it running out the bleeder. Thats the first step id do. For some reason I still have a feeling your clutch is dragging of some sort due the slave and for sitting for a year.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:09 PM
Thanks vince, perhaps I'll try that this weekend, I may get off m ass and just change the clutch this weekend if I can get the parts together, I'll deff. Change all the fluild regardless. Anything in particular I should look for, for what you think it is? I've never delt with this before, Just a sticky slave? Well see how motivates I get, Purhaps I'll just drive it till something blows apart and that should show me the problem haha

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:20 PM
odds are you are gonna get a lot of dust coming out of it once the trans separates from the block. Depending how much wear the clutch has. First thing I'd look for on the spec is broken springs in the plate. Second thing I'd look at is the fingers on the pressure plate. Then Id take a look at the slave and the shaft that comes out of the trans. Make sure thats free of rust and debris. Id for sure like to see what the clutch looks like once you get it opened up.

What clutch are you putting in it? But yes, make sure you get new fluid in the whole thing. Slave line and obviously you will do the trans fluid as well.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:22 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:If its been sitting for that long, I would def look at the slave. You can get a little rust built up where the slave slides. Not to mention the dirty fluid... first, cheap, quick easy, step, bleed the clutch. Could have moisture absorbed into the fluid and could be causing issues. Safe to assume you know how to bleed it just keep bleeding it til the reservoir is full with clear fluid, same as with it running out the bleeder. Thats the first step id do. For some reason I still have a feeling your clutch is dragging of some sort due the slave and for sitting for a year.

Vince, Think about what your saying... if the slave was sticking why would it make noise with the clutch let out? If the clutch was dragging he would have issues with shifting gears.

Sounds like you have an issue with gears or a bearing.

I would try overfilling with 2.6qts and see if the noise changes.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:23 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:If its been sitting for that long, I would def look at the slave. You can get a little rust built up where the slave slides. Not to mention the dirty fluid... first, cheap, quick easy, step, bleed the clutch. Could have moisture absorbed into the fluid and could be causing issues. Safe to assume you know how to bleed it just keep bleeding it til the reservoir is full with clear fluid, same as with it running out the bleeder. Thats the first step id do. For some reason I still have a feeling your clutch is dragging of some sort due the slave and for sitting for a year.

Vince, Think about what your saying... if the slave was sticking why would it make noise with the clutch let out? If the clutch was dragging he would have issues with shifting gears.

slave sticking could maybe cause it to not fully release 100% and slightly dragging while trying to decel. Happened to me on the very first replacement trans I put in the car since the trans sat. Had a whirring noise in mine. tore it apart, shined up the output shaft, re-installed slave, no more noise.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:04 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:

slave sticking could maybe cause it to not fully release 100% and slightly dragging while trying to decel. Happened to me on the very first replacement trans I put in the car since the trans sat. Had a whirring noise in mine. tore it apart, shined up the output shaft, re-installed slave, no more noise.

If it was dragging or hanging it would also slip on accell.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:17 PM
mine didnt, and i contributed it to the torque on it while I was accelerating.

I'm just merely using one of my own situations and what I did to fix it/ diagnose it.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:08 AM
I'm just going to jam a stock one from the junkyard in and call it a day. The car used to be boosted and drag raced pretty hard so what I fined could be intresting lol, hopfully I do actual fined something, planning to pull the trans tomorrow night and I'll head over and hopfully pick up the used clutch & fly wheel sat... Hopfully a slave to for the hell of it . Pictures to follow. If I don't fined anything I'll prob split the trans and have a peek in side see if any bearing or gears are bad..... Id think it would make noise all the time of that's the case.... Purhaps it dose and I just can't hear it over the exhaust lol

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:45 AM
Overfilling per the TSB posted her made my 06 HHR F23 quite down a lot. Mine was also louder on decel, with clutch engaged.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 11, 2011 5:32 AM
Mine does same thing, and i just put new clutch and flywheel in, new trans fluid as well but didnt overfill

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:42 PM
Well clutch is out now and wasn't really expecting what i found, know i don't exactly remember how much meat was on the clutch when it went in, but there sure isn't much now and as far as i'm concerned shes fawked. Alot of drag strip passes on her tho can tell ya that. what ya thank?
Now i don't have a new slaves to go in, this one feels good, i'll clean it up, has a small hole in the boot but almost looks normal? been a while since i had one out.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:42 AM
Yeah no life left on that clutch. may as well change it while you have it apart. As long as you dont need it back together ASAP... id get a better clutch in there.

as for the slave, REPLACE IT WITH THE CLUTCH PLEASE!!!!, no use pulling it apart, putting it back together only for it to fall apart. Most new clutches you order come with one anyway. So just replace it and be done with it.

You already shopped for clutches?

When you do the clutch, are you able to resurface the insert on the flywheel or do people just replace the insert? That needs to be done as well.

What is all the green paint all over the place?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:06 PM
To late I'm affraid junkyard clutch is already in just forgot fluid at home to blead the bitch. I'm to cheap to buy a new clutch for this one if it gose again after the winter maybe I'll put a new one in, I really just wanted the aftermarket stuff out at the moment. Some day it may go into my blue car if I ever get to a manual swap, I do have a new fe friction disk for the flywheel at home. The green paint is a junkyard marking from the yard we deal with so they can Id there motors if u bring em back, wasn't originally an Eco car.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:30 PM
lol junkyard clutch? could have got a brand new, excedy, oem replacement, was $125 shipped, with new slave haha, clutch, pressure plate, as well as slave.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:47 PM
vs junkyard clutch maybe $50 and still years of normal driving left on it.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:36 PM
I dunno where ur pulling 125$ from when rock auto (cheapest place I know) wants 240$ + shipping etc for an exeddy, and part source & nappa wants 600$+. And with that I still dont get a fly wheel........ Paid 100$ for a Gm clutch with 60k on... Fly wheel pressure plate and clutch. Didn't have to wait for a thing just went and go it ..... And now my WINTER BEATER for this YEAR is on the road... And I'm up a fly wheel for my blue car

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:49 PM
Oedwards wrote:vs junkyard clutch maybe $50 and still years of normal driving left on it.

vs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH-KIT-SLAVE-EXEDY-DOHC-2-2L-2-2-03-05-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-GRAND-AM-/250919860954?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004|Make%3AChevrolet|M odel%3ACavalier&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6bfd3ada

And his labor time doubled since an OEM clutch thats been removed and reassembled on another vehicle won't last that long... especially with likely over 50-60k on it already...

With as hard as it is to do a clutch on these cars with regards to PITA-ness I don't see why anyone would put a used clutch in... especially not knowing if the flywheel or pressure plate is warped or not.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:00 PM
What part of a clutch kit dosent come with a fly wheel don't you understand?, I can't buy just a fly wheel from the yard here so why buy a clutch twice, I'd trust a lightly used factory over cheap Taiwan junk any day. It was out in back in, in like hours including dicking around and lunch I wouldn't call that a hard job..... I don't see why you have gt stickers on your cavalier, but it dosent matter cuz its not my car lol

Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:56 PM
the clutch did not seem bad to me, but would need to see it more.

They do not have alot of material on them to begin with.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search