F23 Clicking Noise - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
F23 Clicking Noise
Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:23 PM
Not the driver side axle unless i got a bad one. replaced it today. History. car has 120k on the clock. to my knowledge everything is original to the car. It was NA til 110k boosted the last 10k miles. clutch/slave/master/and TOB were replaced at 70k miles, and trans was flushed and filled with 2 qt's ATF. that is the ONLY major work that has been done to the trans at all.

basically, only while moving, there is a clicking sound coming from the diff area on the trans. The catch is, that is only does it while not on the gas and moving. at idle no sound. on the gas moving no sound. foot off the gas in gear, or out of gear, i hear the clicking. turning does not make a difference. it is most def wheel speed related. I have ruled out clutch and TOB due to when the noise happens. only thing left is passenger side axle (inner joint) and diff. we replaced the drivers side axle today with a reman'd one, added. 2.6 qts ATF as per the TSB, and the noise is still there. HELP!!!!!

Re: F23 Clicking Noise
Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:28 PM
Wheel bearings? i had a bad one once on the passenger side that clicked really bad and sounded like it was on the driver side or driver axle...

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:31 PM
we used my dads auto stethoscope, and only heard the noise while the scope was touching the trans case on the drivers side.. we never tore apart looked at or touched anything passenger side because we assumed (oops) that it was a driver side axle.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:48 PM
Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:04 PM
looked at that Vince, not really the same situation as me...sorta kinda not really...but sorta.

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:21 PM
took it to the shop today. they say diff gears or diff bearings. so ima swap out for my spare trans and hopefully call it a day.

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:35 PM
lmk how that goes..
usually when you change old fluid out to new, the new fluid has a higher level of acidity than the broken down old fluid and sometimes causes slippage or even in this case bearing noise.

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:41 PM
Matt Gorman wrote:lmk how that goes..
usually when you change old fluid out to new, the new fluid has a higher level of acidity than the broken down old fluid and sometimes causes slippage or even in this case bearing noise.

skeptical?

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:13 PM
lmao, its what happened to both of my cars.
my regal and the cav.
apparently alot of the techs i work with believe in this aswell

Built&Boosted moar

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:17 PM
this all happened before i changed the fluid...are you saying i should put the old fluid back in? lol jk jk...

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:06 PM
noonoo,lol

Built&Boosted moar

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:59 PM
Could be a bunch of different things. Trying to diagnose this type of issue over the net is going to lead you to replacing things that aren't broken.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:12 AM
My car has been doing the same thing since about August... just popped up one day.

Coasting with the car in gear or neutral and it clicks, the clicking speed goes up with RPM. Clutch in or out does nothing. I can shut the car off while rolling and have it out of gear (to hear it better) and it just clicks away.

I THINK it clicks when I accelerate but to be honest I either can't hear it or can just barely hear it. Hard to tell with an H.O manifold/intake and a 2.5" exhaust.

I've assumed it was an axle since the summer, since it did it in or out of gear clutch in or clutch out. I planned to replace both in the spring with my new suspension.

Let us know if you come up with anything.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:59 PM
yeah mine just happened. no real warning except what i thought was an out of balance wheel....

i bet you have the same issue i do...

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:33 AM
Differential, one of you're spider gears chipped off I bet. Happened to me twice.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search