BAHNHOF clutches / lightweight flywheels - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BAHNHOF clutches / lightweight flywheels
Friday, January 27, 2012 4:12 PM
Anyone ever use the BAHNHOF clutch kits? eBay has a Stage 2 complete clutch kit for about $260 shipped. The only other kits anywhere near that were F1 Performance, but I called and they dont make clutches for newer jbodies. If you have an older one, they have rediculous deals (like $220 shipped with a flywheel and clutch kit!).

Im also trying to decide on a lightweight flywheel...what are the advantages and disadvantages, and for a s/c setup im installing very soon, is it worth it or should i just get a nice new OEM steel fw?

thanks guys!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: BAHNHOF clutches / lightweight flywheels
Friday, January 27, 2012 4:29 PM
Ebay has stock clutches that come with pressure plates and slaves for $150ish.

Monday, February 06, 2012 4:55 PM
yeah I saw that, but I don't know how much I trust a company i've never heard of, has anyone used/seen/heard about these? F1 too not sure who they are.

age is one thing....experience is another, i'm not the greatest in the world, but I can do it, and I can do it right
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:44 PM
well if anyone knows anything I need to know soon! I want to order my clutch soon and get it installed before my s/c setup is installed...a badly slipping clutch + boost does not = fun. lol
Anyone running stock clutch/fw on a boosted setup? I know they arent rated very high, but Im trying to justify the $300+ for a lw/flywheel and $300 for just a clutch (then $400 for an install!)

any inputs on lightweight flywheels also? Ive heard mixed results.

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:50 AM
I love how this forum is filled with auto enthuiasts who dont even install their own parts.
Scared of getting a little grease under their nails!
Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:26 AM
^ my friend has a dealership and can work on cavaliers in his sleep. my cavalier is my daily driver, so i dont have the luxury of taking the transmission and clutch all apart and running into a problem. Not to mention he has a lift at the dealership making things 1,000x easier than a driveway/garage and jack stands.

troll elsewhere lol

Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:06 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:I love how this forum is filled with auto enthuiasts who dont even install their own parts.

filled with what? like 12 people?

the only people left are noobs and the hardcore guys. everyone else joined the delta camp (good riddance) or sold their J-bodies and hang out in the offtopic forum

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:54 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
Bobby Higgins wrote:I love how this forum is filled with auto enthuiasts who dont even install their own parts.

filled with what? like 12 people?

the only people left are noobs and the hardcore guys. everyone else joined the delta camp (good riddance) or sold their J-bodies and hang out in the offtopic forum

^^^^ What he said!!!!! LOL

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:45 AM
LMAO PJ...

You should have taken a clutch into consideration when you were setting up your budget. It's an extremely important part of the car and trying to cut corners in that area is just an all around bad idea.

Look into Clutchnet, they are very reasonably priced and have great reviews.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, February 13, 2012 9:51 AM
This is the clutch that im planning on running. Maybe you should of done some research on the company. Cause when i did everyone only has good things to say about them.

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:35 PM
clutchnet looks like they have some nice quality clutches, but its only the pressure plate and clutch for the cheapest stage 1 $440, no slave. Thats another $100 for the slave, then flywheel ($$ if i want lightweight).
I just dont know what to get as the battle of opinions on clutches seems to be worse than whos better, chevy or ford! (we all know the answer to that one though! ;P haha)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:46 AM
KY Clutch kit, they have proven to be the BEST clutch kit for the Cobalt's at the best price. Hands down they are the best. We have J-Body KY Clutch kits on our site also, we sell a few each week.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:56 AM
blu04DD wrote:
Anyone running stock clutch/fw on a boosted setup? I know they arent rated very high, but Im trying to justify the $300+ for a lw/flywheel and $300 for just a clutch (then $400 for an install!)

I am and it is holding fine. 230whp and im not easy on it.

I dont know any JBOer who doesnt install their own parts. Hell my cav is downstairs with no front suspension on it.

Error: Sig not found.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:37 PM
well im going to be a test subject then for the BANHOF Stage 2 clutch set. its a 6 puck too. Im going to go with another stock fw though because the stock ones are a hell of a lot cheaper and i really havent seen many threads on any of the forums that say its really worth the $300..not to mention they dont seem to be nearly as strong.

we'll see, im nervous but did some research and other car clubs (makes) seem to be okay with the BANHOF's so far, nothing bad about them anyways. every company starts out as 'nobody'.. but for a stage 2 kit with slave for $230 shipped (I made a counter offer on ebay for his parts), i cant go wrong even if it brakes. A stocker is about $200 anyways.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:29 AM
When do you think you'll be putting it in? I probably be getting one too. Mine is a stocker so I'm not really to worried about breaking it.
Monday, February 20, 2012 11:33 PM
I got it in the mail today.
Wont be installed until the weekend of the 3rd, thats the soonest I have the time to get it in. Will let y'all know how it turns out!
I know a 6puck stage 2 clutch is going to take some getting used to, after a stock clutch was used....im expecting a lot more grippy take offs (less gas).

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:38 AM
Check the inside of the pressure plate very carefully and see what markings you find. My spec 2 was stamped by luk. I'm curious if yours has any markings.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:03 AM
Sweet. Look forward to it. Did you get a solid or sprung?
Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:01 PM
not sure..whats the pic look like lol...

so its installed. Im def not used to how easily the clutch pedal goes down to the floor, almost like its got no pressure..but it engages well and shifts good. Ive noticed in first gear i get a very slight 'rattle' sometimes if im very easy into the engagement, but otherwise there is no more chadder when i let off the clutch at idle. it feels good, but hope in about 500-1000 miles i can start getting on it before the bash and my tune for my s/c!

over all so far, so good!

just a quick pic of the pressure plate, dont have one of the clutch installed cause i wasnt there during install

Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:39 AM
Thats just clutch chatter from the 6 puck engaging it's even more pronounced when you have trans bushings.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:23 PM
which I plan on getting lol
just gotta take it easy for a week or two and put a couple hundred miles on her before i can really see how this clutch handles a full set of hard shifts. Im patient though..dont wanna break her before the Bash

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:00 AM
Hey im thinking of purchasing this clutch kit. Have you installed you sc yet. And how has the clutch held up.
Monday, April 16, 2012 8:11 AM
with the super light pedal feel/going to the floor, did you bleed the slave enough??

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:28 AM
Follow up on this....so far so good. It's holding up really well and I've done quite abit of hard driving on it. Ive had it at the track a few times and done alot of "Mexico" running and it shifts well, grabs, doesnt slip.
the only thing i notice and this could be something else, is my clutch pedal isnt nearly as 'stiff' as other cavy's ive driven with exedy or other aftermarket clutches...but I dont know what it is.

Friday, June 08, 2012 7:13 AM
Sounds like a weak pressure plate setup...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search