Would you replace the Slave Cylinder? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Would you replace the Slave Cylinder?
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:50 AM
So my clutch has been slipping starting about 2 weeks ago, so I ordered a new clutch and pressure plate from clutchnet. It still hasn't come in yet -_- . But I called them and they said it's shipping today. So we'll see.
Either way I was planning on replacing it next week during spring break, but low and behold. My girlfriend drove it to work today and what do you know the clutch no longer engages. Had it towed back to the garage.

Now I'm wondering. What else should I be worried. I notice when you get a "Clutch Kit" it usually comes with a slave cylinder. Should this be an item that should be regularly replaced?
I mean the OEM doesn't really expensive. I did a search here and I see to avoid certain brands like the Perfection Kit.

Lemme know all-knowning-JBO!

In return I will post pics of my failed attempts!

Re: Would you replace the Slave Cylinder?
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:27 AM
the slave and TOB are one unit. normally they come with the clutch....yes i would replace it. if you already have the work done to replace the clutch.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:01 PM
Some aftermarket clutches don't come with a Slave, at least my ACT didn't. I just got done replacing one that's been leaking for months. It's a large task to handle by yourself, this is for sure.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:41 PM
Good to know and yes Clutchnet does not provide a new cylinder.
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:43 PM
get one. 90% of clutch problems in j's, that I've noticed are caused by the slave cylander. mine grenaded itself into the pressure plate.

I need a new sig.
Monday, March 12, 2012 6:05 PM
it's the same labor all over again if it fails before the new clutch wears out. I'm relatively easy on clutches so I've only ever had throw out bearing/slave cylinders go bad.
dennis
Monday, March 12, 2012 6:27 PM
I would replace it. It is inside your trans and it would really suck if it decided to go bad one day. I know some people have the saying of "if its good, then don't fix it"... but I would hate myself the day it fails because I didn't replace it when my clutch needed to be replaced. I am actually waiting for my clutch kit and everything else to come in so I can get mine replaced. Mine just started slipping. I am replacing the slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, flywheel, clutch, rear main seal, and pressure plate. My list is a little silly, but I would also at least replace your motors rear main seal as well.

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:28 PM
OMG wrote: I did a search here and I see to avoid certain brands like the Perfection Kit.

the perfection kit is fine. 60k on mine so far and still as tight as the day i installed it. also, get a new flywheel.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, March 16, 2012 1:28 AM
Trans has to come off to change slave cylinder. Might as well change it when you get the new clutch in, since the trans will be off anyways. Besides, they give you a new one, might as well use it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:10 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search