No clutch, just wanna double check with the gurus - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No clutch, just wanna double check with the gurus
Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:30 PM
the pedal has no pressure and pulls itself to the floor, then you pull it back up manually there is pressure for a second but not much..pump clutch and the pressure comes back but once it gets to the right feelng it suddenly dissappears again and pedal stays on floor, or pulls itself just depends where the pedal is...here is the story..mostly
I was driving and the clutch pulled itself to the foor after a shift.
Shouldn't be the clutch, I just put an 88xxx mile trans in the car recently and the clutch and slave/throwout looked ok, slave had no rough spots, spun freeely and looked intact.
I opened my resivoir the day it happened and it was pretty clear, little tiny tiny pieces of what I assume is just dirt.
I drove the car a bit, using one foot to pull the pedal back up pretty often because it keeps loosing its pressure. then checked fluid again...it was very cloudy but it was all still there just cloudy and it looked like grease of some sort or rubber that was deteriorated to mush maybe...seal?...
so I ran about a pint through the system just opned the bleader and poured into the resivior, then bled it...cycled valve open and closed maybe 15 times no visible air...
still does the same thing....it happened out of nowhere..very suddenly..I don't THINK I have a leak, I see something under the car but I think I have a shad=ft seal leaking just a dribble, car has to be driven then parked for a day to see it, always dry too, never a pool of fluid.
So either I got air out of nowhere and I haven't bleed it properly...but I had this problem last year when the trans was acting up and bled it successfully
or the master is letting pressure blow by it and that rubber was part of a deterriorated seal---think its this, because it's holding fluid it seems, and it was an all of the sudden thing
or the slave is bad and that was grease from the bearing pack in the slave/release bearing...
what do you guys think?
If it is the slave I'm getting a clutch kit...couple things there...f1 any good? excedy stage one should be all I need for a final goal of 300HP-if I even decide to actually boost?--this is my current #1 pick....... are there any issues with an aftermarket slave? should I get GM slave and mate it with an aftermarket pressure plate-I assume thats a bad idea and a compay like excedy probably knows what they are doing=assumption.
So there you have it..I'm thinking master...scared its the slave though haha, any thoughts or suggestions or experiences with any of this i'm all ears

Re: No clutch, just wanna double check with the gurus
Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:31 PM
1998 Cavalier Z24 5speed btw isuzu trans...best of my knowlege only the clutch was ever changed...about 110k, car has 160k
Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:29 AM
when i had that problem i just bled the system but you did that so...
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 4:59 AM
Sounds like the master cylinder might be bad.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:41 AM
Had the same problem it was the master cylinder. My 2003 cavalier clutch pedal went to the floor when i was driving on the highway wouldn't come back up. I replaced the slave and it didn't fix the problem, but replaced the master cylinder problem solved.
Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:35 PM
MASTER CYLINDER...cost me like 62 bucks took an hour total, I was pretty darn sure about it being the master...it just made sense, not gonna lie I was a little sketched out there while I waited for the part to come I just kept playing the "what if" game cuz that slave is such a PITA on the LD9
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search