LSJ or LNF TOB w/ F23 trans - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSJ or LNF TOB w/ F23 trans
Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:16 AM
im currently running a LSJ engine with exedy hyper single clutch in my car. Im running the TOB that came with my old spec clutch with about 15000kms on it. I'm pretty sure the throw out bearing is rattling. Seems to get alot worse with higher RPM and partially go away with clutch in. I had the tranny removed and inspected and they found nothing. they also said my TOB was fine but i think otherwise. I starting pricing Stock TOB the other day and prices are insane. Just wondering if anyone has run either the LSJ or LNF TOB with the stock f23 J transmission. They are 1/3 the price of a stock J one. i havent been able to find any "birds eye views" to see if the bolt holes where i mounts to the housing are the same. not really worried about about the clutch pipe or clutch pipe elbow as ill purchase them too and make my own hose to the clutch master if i have to. Just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Re: LSJ or LNF TOB w/ F23 trans
Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:02 PM
I'm of no help on this but I'm curious what coms of this. Have you tried rock auto for pics?

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:05 AM
Interesting, the bolt patterns may be the same, I will try and see if I can find my TOB from my lnf and see what it looks like on the f23...

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:55 AM
i came across a few pictures last night. looks like the bolt hole mounting maybe the same but i think a custom clutch pipe maybe in order. the f23 comes out the side of the transmission housing where the F35 comes out the top.

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:27 AM
they will bolt up but you will need to make an adapter for the hose

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:27 AM
updates?

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:37 AM
will post shortly

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:43 AM
Sounds promising

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:29 AM
Two weeks ago i said F it and took the risk and ordered an LNF throw out bearing, clutch pipe and elbow from crateenginedepot.com. The rattling noise started to get really annoying and i had to try to do something about it. Here is what showed up.

i happen to have an old spare clutch master cylinder with lines laying around.

upon further inspection i noticed a c-clip, removed it and this happen.

could i get any luckier? plugged right in.

I then noticed some threads and the elbow seemed like i would come part.

they appeared to be 1/8 npt threads. please dont quote me on this.
my dad is a mechanic and i went to his fitting bin and found these.

sorry my hand is covering the messy sealing job the tranny shop did on my plug after they reassembled it.
L61

LNF bolts right up.

Also happens that my dad has nice tools.

i then bent up a steel line using 3/16 brake line.

stock LSJ/ LNF clutch pipe vs. my custom one.

Sadly, one of the fitting i used were too short and the treads bottomed out before the line was tight to i had to change them.

pipe and elbow installed.

clutch master line plugged in

Isuzu 5 speed grommet we happen to have laying around to fill the void in the housing. now looks like a factory install.

Just bleed the clutch and its done. Feels like a factory clutch for less then half the cost of the TOB designed for the L61/F23.

i only have about 150kms on the bearing now. doesn't seem to be any issues other then the fact that it did not solve my rattling noise so its back to the drawing board.

any questions, feel free to ask.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 AM
oh and you can save yourself the $10 and you dont need the cobalt clutch pipe unless you want it for the fitting but you still still need another. i didnt use mine.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 12:44 PM
you have an after market clutch? if so, clutch chatter (rattling) is very very very common with them.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:25 PM
Yes LSJ exedy hyper single

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:28 PM
that rattle is most likely normal Alex.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:46 PM
Is the clutch disc sprung? I'd check to see if any of the springs are cracked next time it's apart. Once my spec 2 was slipping I noticed. Had a crack on one of the springs when I was installing a new disc from act. It could have been from all the abuse I put the clutch through or defect but I know my ld9 clutch disc was quieter than my spec.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:23 AM
Priggen wrote:Two weeks ago i said F it and took the risk and ordered an LNF throw out bearing, clutch pipe and elbow from crateenginedepot.com. The rattling noise started to get really annoying and i had to try to do something about it. Here is what showed up.

any questions, feel free to ask.

Alex,

What is the part number for the elbow you used??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:28 PM
I think its this one: http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Clutch-Pipe-Elbow-24252286-P17424C701.aspx

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, September 09, 2013 2:08 PM
My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, is that a double flare on the TOB to adapter pipe?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:31 PM
talk to PJ (skwirl). he made his own fittings for that set up. They were double flares and the less common 37* flare vs the 45* or something like that.
i was going that route until i decided to just stick with a brand new F23 slave cylinder set up since it will all bolt directly back up.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search