Which transmission can be regeared? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which transmission can be regeared?
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:23 PM
I might be interested in getting either a 2.4L 2400 GM engine for my Pontiac Sunfire SE or even swap a GM 3800 engine into it. Now what transmission can be re-geared? the Getrag or the isuzu transmission? Is the isuzu manual like the getrag? I'm very interested in making my car into a high performance vehicle.

Re: Which transmission can be regeared?
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:16 AM
the isuzu can be geared as well as final drive swapped. the geo storm gsi trans has a 4.11 FDR (stock is 3.94) and you can use the gears out of that as well as the 2.2 cavalier isuzu if you wish. all kinds of different ones you could use.

the getrag doesnt get as many options but DOES have the option for a much deeper FDR at 4.55 out of the saturn vue. as far as gears go i have no idea.

the OLDER getrag (the nvg-t550) has two FDR's... 3.94 and 3.61 and you can get the W41 gearing for it which helps a little.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:41 PM
I'm now interested in the F40 6 speed manual transmission from a G6 i hear they have the same bolt on pattern for all the gm v6 engines, My Pontiac Sunfire will definitly not be for the faint of heart when I'm done with it
Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:18 AM
Taylor Latham wrote:I'm now interested in the F40 6 speed manual transmission from a G6 i hear they have the same bolt on pattern for all the gm v6 engines, My Pontiac Sunfire will definitly not be for the faint of heart when I'm done with it

A few things to consider here, if you really want to tackle this project:

1) You will need a custom flywheel if you're doing a 3100, 3400, or 3500 (non-VVT). The G6 uses a "dual mass" flywheel, and there is no flywheel with the right size that will bolt to the 3100, 3400, or 3500 (or the 2.2 OHV, for that matter). Also, there are a lot of gear options with the F40, but you will typically only find the G6 version, 3.55 FDR, because there was a huge surplus of them, especially after Pontiac went away.

2) The frame rail on the drivers side needs to be clearanced to fit the F40.

3) The High Value V6 engines (2.8, 3.6) have a different bellhousing pattern, so if you happen to see an F40 off one of these V6 engines, it won't fit to the 3100, 3400, or 3500.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:20 AM
F40 will bolt to any gm 660. Fiero guys use them all the time to bolt to 3400, 3500, 3900, and even ls4's. They all share the same bolt pattern.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, October 29, 2012 6:52 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:F40 will bolt to any gm 660. Fiero guys use them all the time to bolt to 3400, 3500, 3900, and even ls4's. They all share the same bolt pattern.
First, not all F-40's have that bellhousing pattern. The one from the G6 does, but you can't simply buy an F-40 and know it will bolt up to your engine.

Second, the flywheel that bolts to the 3900 does not work on the 3100, 3400, or non-VVT 3500. Guys that mate them to engines that flywheels are not available for have done custom flywheels or modified other flywheels.

It's not as easy and bolt on as you think it is. If you've seen the work that it takes to put it on an LS4, you'd know that the guys that do these swaps are fully capable of handling the challenges of just about any engine swap. Just getting a starter on that setup is a major challenge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search