Isuzu Z24 5-Speed Grind - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu Z24 5-Speed Grind
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:20 PM
So I recently snagged a Z24 and I love the car to death. Unfortunately, third gear has a tendency to grind slightly. I'm still able to go into gear and it doesn't fight me or pop out. I can lower the chance of grinding via rev-matching It also tends to do it more while the transmission is warm. Reverse also grinds, but it's hit and miss and grinds whether or not I double-clutch, and temperature has no effect on it.

The previous owner had the clutch replaced by a shop because it was leaking, and a new throw out bearing was installed. The pedal feels good and the clutch doesn't slip. However, when it's engaged there is a quiet whirring sound coming from the transmission. It happens in neutral or while driving and changes tone slightly while accelerating/decelerating. I don't know if this sound is normal for this trans.

I hope nothing is wrong with the transmission and that it's either the clutch needing bleeding, the shifter cable needing adjusting, or just needs to get some fresh fluid.

So tomorrow I'm going to buy an oil pump to reverse bleed the clutch (because it's the right way), and I have two quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax MTF coming tomorrow (should I get another quart?). Time permitting I will be ripping out the console and replacing the plastic bushings and tightening the cable if need be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Isuzu Z24 5-Speed Grind
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:52 AM
I've had 2 Isuzu trans's and they both do that third gear thing. Reverse will grind as well because it's not syncro'd like the Getrag trans is. As for oil, I run 5w-30.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:36 AM
Is there a way to lessen it? Third gear is the fun gear lol.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:23 PM
I dunno. Mine only does it when I bang into 3rd at high RPM, such as at the track. Normal driving it's fine. Probably just GM's @!#$ty syncro's.

For reverse, I tend to run the trans into 1st gear then to reverse. Seems to lessen the grind for some reason.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:39 AM
SHOoff, do you have a link to images of where the drain plugs are on this trans? Just to save me a bit of time instead of searching. And should I drain it while it's warm or cold? I'm gonna do it tonight after work.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:24 AM
nope no way to "loosen" it. this is a very common problem with the isuzu tranny's. i myself have had it happen to a couple, one got so bad as to physically SPLIT the syncro ring and it got stuck into 4th gear. that was fun LOL

only way is to have it fixed with a new syncro ring.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:03 PM
Kody LaGreca wrote:SHOoff, do you have a link to images of where the drain plugs are on this trans? Just to save me a bit of time instead of searching. And should I drain it while it's warm or cold? I'm gonna do it tonight after work.

No, I don't. But if you get down on the driver side, and follow the axle back to the diff the drain plug is right on the end of the diff. I forget if it's on the inside or the outside, but it's got a great big bolt head on it, it's pretty hard to miss. Filling it back up is actually going to be harder than finding the drain plug.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:06 PM
Alright I found the drain and the fill cap and dipstick. Anyone know how much fluid it should take? I can use the dipstick if necessary but if I know how much a full tranny takes I can just add that and be done lol.

Friday, November 09, 2012 2:51 AM
The capacity is 2 quarts. But you probably won't fit that much in, I don't think I ever put in a full 2 quart.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:26 PM
Thanks for all the help SHOoff, got it drained and put the RP in. It actually took all two quarts. Transmission fluid smells terrible. Hopefully it helps, but I doubt it's gonna do much. A friend of mine who's a certified mechanic offered to rebuild the thing for 200 bucks plus the cost of parts. I think I'm gonna do that.

I'm gonna be posting a guide for this since I think we need more of such things around here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search