Swapping transmissions? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping transmissions?
Monday, December 10, 2012 8:04 PM
I picked up a SUPER clean 2001 sunfire. It was so nice I couldn't turn it down even though it has a 3 speed transmission in it. Nothing wrong with that, other than I was shopping for a 4 speed auto or 5 speed to get max MPG.

Now that I have a 3 speed, can somebody tell me what I would have to do to swap in a 4 speed instead? It's a 2200 engine

Re: Swapping transmissions?
Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:26 AM
2200 4 speed auto or the older 2.2 4 speed. Pretty sure they are all the same tranny. 2000+ 4speed auto pcm, 2000+ 4 speed engine harness, then the 4 speed axles. I think the driver side is the same but not sure right off. You will have to look that up as this isn't a common swap. Also to note the converter may be different having a different stall speed. Also the shifter and shifter cable may be different. You would have to check those two things out as well.
Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:59 AM
Sounds like a pretty big job. No motivation for changing it as long as the 3 speed is healthy, but if it ever goes it's something I would consider. I can't believe in 2001 GM was still selling cars without an overdrive, and people were buying them.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:16 AM
Not really that hard, the only thing added to it is the harness and computer. The rest is the same thing as pulling the transmission pretty much.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:59 AM
I notice the shifters on the 4 and 3 speeds are different. Do they function the same? I guess I would need to look into shift cables
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:29 AM
mark Finley wrote:I notice the shifters on the 4 and 3 speeds are different. Do they function the same? I guess I would need to look into shift cables

if you find a trans to fit your car, then you'll find the car to pull the trans, cluster, computer, shifter, mounts and cables from.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search