Clutch for mildly modified 3500 with an F23? 4 Speed in a Sunfire?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch for mildly modified 3500 with an F23? 4 Speed in a Sunfire??
Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:48 PM
I can't find much definitive info on fiero.nl so I'm posting here. I'll soon be putting an F23 in my 3500 swapped Fiero and am looking for a clutch to hold the power. My understanding is that some V6 clutch setups won't clear the F23 bellhousing, so I'm wondering how aggressive of a 2200 clutch I'll need to hold the power of a mildly cammed 3500. The 2200 clutches are only 8.5" vs. the V6 clutches at 9 1/8" to 9 7/8", so I'm assuming they won't hold as much power.

Will a 6-puck with a stock pressure plate do the trick? I don't think I'll ever be making more than 250whp but keep in mind the Fiero get's great traction vs. front wheel drive even with small tires in the rear. I've read about using an ACT LD9 6-puck with a stock pressure plate. Will this work with a 2200 pressure plate or just an LD9 pressure plate? This is a DD so I'm looking for the most mild clutch that will hold the power for a longest time. I'm not worried about having a grabby clutch.

Now my next question. I was looking for F23s from JYs but the best local deal I could find was $400 for a trans. Then I ended up finding a whole running, driving 2200 sunfire for $400. I almost hate to part it out just because I want the transmission so does anyone have an idea of the easiest way to get the car back to running condition for cheap so I can re-sell it? I've thought about the possibility of taking the Fiero's 4-speed manual and putting it in the Sunfire; I understand mounts would be custom but is there a cable/shifter assembly that will work? It seems like the 4-speed manual hasn't been used in J-bodies since the 80s so it would probably be very hard to find a shifter/cables for a reasonable price. Obviously the PCM would need a reflash for an accurate speedometer as well.

Re: Clutch for mildly modified 3500 with an F23? 4 Speed in a Sunfire??
Monday, February 11, 2013 9:15 PM
Check out ky clutch.. they can build you what you need.. im running their ecotec clutch in my cav and our cobalt ss they seem to hold up well
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search