Output Shaft Bearing - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Output Shaft Bearing
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:15 PM
Hello,
As many others before me have described, I am the victim of a rumbling/helicopter-like noise as my car approaches higher speeds. Being the backyard mechanic that I am, I took the liberty to make a few tests and repairs. I have changed the front 2 wheel hub assemblies and the noise still remains. I put the car back up on blocks, removed the hubs, tested them, replaced them with 2 other hub assemblies and the noise still remains. (Now I have 2 on the car, and 2 slightly used in a box.) I then changed the rear wheel hub assemblies. After much cursing and and a 6-pack later new front rotors and pads were installed. The next morning, I took the car out for a test drive and the noise was still present.
I'm now 99.9% sure that the problem is the Output Shaft Bearing. My searches have come up with shaft seal replacement but I have a feeling that will not be the problem. Is there a way to replace the output shaft bearings or is that pretty much a transmission swap?
The car is a 2004 Sunfire with the 4-spd Auto Trans. Advise?

Re: Output Shaft Bearing
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:35 PM
I have no idea how to do in on an auto. A manual you must pull the tranny and split the case and pull the diff. I would assume an auto is about the same.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search