Auto Shifting and ATI - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto Shifting and ATI
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:59 AM
Ok first, i have an auto, and love to go threw the low gears like a manny when i drag, ie 1st-2nd-3rd-Drive.
Ive notice you obviously get more power and accel doing so cause you get all the rpms in each gear.
Well i also recently installed my ATI (auto trans interceptor) and notice a huge improvement both wike being in just Drive and as well as Auto shifting.

So my question is, will doing this eventually wear out my linkage in the shifter? And if so what is out there that will beef that up so the linkage doesnt go?

Thx

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Re: Auto Shifting and ATI
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:46 AM
No, you won't wear out the linkage in your shifter adversely.... but the auto trans interceptor jacks the line pressure hence the awesome feeling shifts. It will slowly wear out the life of the trans...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:07 AM
Even if you run it at something like 50%? Or will it just kill it 50% slower?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:50 AM
You manual shifting will not make you faster, and you can not hold the gear to a higher RPM. You may think you are, but the PCM has the final say...

The PCM settings are the same no matter how your shifting it. Via user interface or just leaving it in D. Also, in a racing enviroment the ATI can extend the life of the trans, but in a daily driver duty it will wear out the clutch packs faster.

Also, our stock Tachometers normally can not keep up with the actual RPM of the motor. Once you build the motor, or add a turbo if you data log the tach output you will see the car actually shifting higher than the tach shows.

Somewhere around 95-90% line pressure is were the PCM is maxed out. It can only obtain about 90PSI if I recall correctly. Turning the setting up to 100% does add any more pressure. Walsac or how ever you spell his name tore an ATI and B&M shift plus apart and posted everything.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:46 AM
Well my engine is bone stock except for the ati, mounts, and intake. So the tach does read right for me. When im stopped in drive and floor it it shifts way before 6k on most of the gears(even with the ati). When im stopped in 1st, and shift threw, it goes to 6k everytime, every gear, before it revs out and i shift(obvi before it revs out lol).

So im now wicked confused cause your saying its the same no matter how im driving it....

So what will eventually break is the clutch pack? What about the pressure plate? And is it possible to upgrade those on a auto?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:51 AM
Lol dont qoute me on that cause now that i think bout it im not 100% sure if the gears do go to 6k or not but from what i recall they dont...

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:33 PM
Do they make actual "shift kits" for your model of transmission?

An auto is ultimately the better performance transmission for drag racing, because you can tune it mechanically (and electronically with some transmissions) to match it up perfectly with your engines powerband.

I don't know much about the 4T40E's (assuming that's what transmission you have), so I can't tell you much other than share general automatic transmission knowledge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:05 AM
Ninja Bling wrote:Well my engine is bone stock except for the ati, mounts, and intake. So the tach does read right for me. When im stopped in drive and floor it it shifts way before 6k on most of the gears(even with the ati). When im stopped in 1st, and shift threw, it goes to 6k everytime, every gear, before it revs out and i shift(obvi before it revs out lol).

So im now wicked confused cause your saying its the same no matter how im driving it....

So what will eventually break is the clutch pack? What about the pressure plate? And is it possible to upgrade those on a auto?

The eco shift points are set different per gear. This is from the WOT Shift RPM and WOT Shift Speed... WOT = Wide Open Throttle.

For example my stock 99 is....
1st - 2nd 6350 @ 35 mph
2nd - 3rd 6400 @ 65 mph
3rd - 4th 5800 @ 100 mph

Mine are currently tuned to...

1st - 2nd 6550 @ 37 mph
2nd - 3rd 6600 @ 68 mph
3rd - 4th 6100 @ 103 mph

This is from my actual tune in my 99 auto. Which is almost identical to the trans settings in your car.

The clutch packs break most of the time.

Koots wrote:Do they make actual "shift kits" for your model of transmission?

An auto is ultimately the better performance transmission for drag racing, because you can tune it mechanically (and electronically with some transmissions) to match it up perfectly with your engines powerband.

I don't know much about the 4T40E's (assuming that's what transmission you have), so I can't tell you much other than share general automatic transmission knowledge.

Both of you read these posts....Click ME!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:59 AM
Thx for the info man! And holy @!#$ thats expensive!!!!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:01 AM
Ill just keep doing what i do very sparsely and think im cool 8)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search