5-Speed - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5-Speed
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:16 PM
Hi everyone, I have an 03 sunfire with the L61 2.2 ecotec engine and the F23 M86 transmission.

My question is: Will the transmission from an 08 or older cobalt (any trim, just want the tranny) bolt up to the l61 currently in my sunfire?

From what I`ve researched online, the only difference between the two transmissions is a slightly different final drive ratio. Because I hear that the cobalt transmissions are built a little tougher and this will be my 3rd transmission in this sunfire. However I have yet to see both of these mounted in a vehicle or otherwise so I can only speculate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I suspect that this transmission I have doesnt have much k left on it

Re: 5-Speed
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:01 PM
From what I understand it physically won't fit in the J's engine bay. That being said, the F23 is pretty stout for a stock 5-speed and in most opinions is as good as if not better than the cobalt's F35. I've heard a lot of F35's like to strip 3rd gear and round it off.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:05 PM
I have to ask how you're blowing these things out too. What's failing? What mods do you have? I feel compelled to say that if you're making almost stock power and blowing up F23s you're doing something wrong, whether its in your driving or it's maintenance. I've abused the hell out of multiple F23s without problem. I blew one up and it was at a drag strip launching way too hard; totally my fault. If you're experiencing wheel hop and blowing diffs grab some poly trans mounts and I promise you'll be in business.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:35 AM
For what its worth, the F23 in the cobalts will not work in the J bodies. The aluminum case is cast differently for the different mounting points on the cobalt. However the internals of all F23 transmissions are nearly identical. Main differences are final drive ratios. J bodies/ grand ams are 3.94:1, Cobalt/G5/Ion are 3.84:1or 3.63:1 for XFE models, HHR is 4.17:1 and Saturn Vue is 4.41:1.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search