F23 hard shifting - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
F23 hard shifting
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:07 PM
Got a 2001 z24 with the f23 5 speed. Im having issues shifting into 2nd and 3rd at high rpm near and at red line. Lower rpms are fine so i know its not the shifter. I havnt done any diag. On it yet. Just woundering if anybody has had a similar issue and what the issue was for you. This issure just started, ive never had any issures shifting this car in any fashion. And now when i try and shift to 2nd or 3rd near 6500 rpm, it feels like im hitting a brick wall and takes a second or two literally and them slides into gear. It is extremely aggravating. Thanks for any input :-)

I Love My J ♡

Re: F23 hard shifting
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:58 PM
Could be clutch not grabbing so fast (less likely), could be shift cables stretched, could be a worn pin in the top of the shifter at the transmission, could be worn shift forks inside the transmission.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:46 PM
Well a little better history on the car. Brand new shifter assembly with ralco rz short shifter. Brand new shift cables as well because i stretched stock set. Clutch is newer as well. Clutch is working fine and trans shifts perfect except at high rpm. Just feels like the gear isn't there till rpms come donw then shifter will move the rest of way as it goes into gear. Checked to make sure my shifter wasn't binding on anything and all is clear it defiantly seems to be trans related i dont know if fluid is low or is just old or what but thats what ima try after ferther inspection.

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:04 PM
New shift cables? how are they adjusted? I had a similar issue, and after adjusting my cables issue was resolved.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:23 PM
I put trans in neutral and center of side to side and clamped them down. Im gonna look at it tomorrow on my lunch hour and see ehat i figure out. I was gonna try a different adjustment on the front to rear cable and see how that works. Thanks for chiming in!!!

I Love My J ♡
Friday, March 28, 2014 4:57 PM
Looked at it today. Clutch isnt disengauging all the way at high rpm. I can even sit still with it in gear and clutch fully depressed and damn thing lunges forward. Thinking the slave might be going bad no leaks but im going to flush system and bleed it and go from there.

I Love My J ♡
Friday, March 28, 2014 5:23 PM
cody nobbs wrote:Looked at it today. Clutch isnt disengauging all the way at high rpm. I can even sit still with it in gear and clutch fully depressed and damn thing lunges forward. Thinking the slave might be going bad no leaks but im going to flush system and bleed it and go from there.

I would check your pressure plate bolts.

If you are in gear with clutch fully pushed in and you floor it your saying the car is sort of still trying to move forward?

I had this happen not long after installing a spec stage 3. My pressure plate bolts were loose, after fixing this (never took the tranny out), that issue was fixed.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:53 AM
Ill have to take a look at that. Thank you for bringing that up! And yes thats exactly what its doing. Sucks!

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:45 PM
John good call thank you very much i would have never checked my pressure plate bolts. They were all loose. Little loctite and now it shifts like butter

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, April 09, 2014 3:45 AM
cody nobbs wrote:John good call thank you very much i would have never checked my pressure plate bolts. They were all loose. Little loctite and now it shifts like butter

awesome!

FU Tuning

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:45 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
cody nobbs wrote:Looked at it today. Clutch isnt disengauging all the way at high rpm. I can even sit still with it in gear and clutch fully depressed and damn thing lunges forward. Thinking the slave might be going bad no leaks but im going to flush system and bleed it and go from there.

I would check your pressure plate bolts.

If you are in gear with clutch fully pushed in and you floor it your saying the car is sort of still trying to move forward?

I had this happen not long after installing a spec stage 3. My pressure plate bolts were loose, after fixing this (never took the tranny out), that issue was fixed.

You can get at the pressure plate bolt on an f23 without pulling trans ?? I'll have to look.... mine's an M/86

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:53 AM
You can with a wrench. There is a small access hole on bottom of bellhousing. When i pulled my engine i made the hole bigger so i could get to it with a rachet.

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:14 AM
Sleepin....zzzzz wrote:You can with a wrench. There is a small access hole on bottom of bellhousing. When i pulled my engine i made the hole bigger so i could get to it with a rachet.

Yeh, I spotted it down there ....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search