KY Clutch Slippage - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KY Clutch Slippage
Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:46 AM
I have a KY Stage 3 clutch (6-puck sprung) and pressure plate (2400 lb), with a new throwout bearing. I resurfaced the stock flywheel.

This was installed and up and running back in Februrary and I've driven the car occasionally since then. It grabs hard off the bat when going slow, but if I'm in 3rd or higher and give it some heavy throttle, it will lose grip and slip when boost rises. Kind of @!#$ty since this clutch is supposedly rated for 475 ft-lb and I'm definitely not there.

I only have about 400 miles on it, mostly highway-ish. But still, everyone tells me clutches should be strong right after you install them, there shouldn't be that huge 500 mile break in period, if it's installed right you're done.

When we bled the clutch, like nothing came out, at all. If there's air in the system somewhere or we failed at bleeding properly, could that cause the TOB to not fully release and let the pressure plate exert maximum force against the clutch? I don't get it. I guess I have to go find another high torque clutch from a different supplier.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search