What is the difference between ohv and ohc transaxles? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is the difference between ohv and ohc transaxles?
Monday, December 15, 2014 10:35 AM
part of my project on my 84 skyhawk is to swap out the 3 spd auto for a 5 spd manual out of a 88 skyhawk I bought from the junkyard. only differenve between the two is that the 84 is ohv and the 88 is ohc. the 88 has all parts in it except for the timing cover and an alternator. as far as I have found is that so far I have found no difference between the to trannys, and the 84 did have an option of the 5 spd manual. I wanted to know if this for the most part will be drop in or not. I have also put away the money to rebuild the ohc in case I need to swp the motor to. I would prefer to keep my ohv since it is cheaper on parts and all ready runs.

Re: What is the difference between ohv and ohc transaxles?
Monday, December 15, 2014 10:38 AM
oh also forgot to mention both engines and trannys are stock. the engines are both 2.0l 122 l4s and mention above just one is ohv and the other is ohc.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:56 AM
I don't know much about the 80's OHC engines, but as far as I know, GM has always used a different bellhousing pattern on the OHV 4cylinders than the any of the OHC engines. It's definitely true on the 2.3 DOHC and later engines, but I'm not 100% sure on the 80's SOHC.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:12 AM
posted in wrong thread*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:13 AM

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:58 PM
They are different bolt patterns.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 7:50 PM
thanks for the info shouldnt be to hard to find 5 spd tranny stuff for the ohv. saves me time and money from rebuilding the sohc just to have the 5 spd.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search