Center cap on rims wont fit? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Center cap on rims wont fit?
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:32 PM
Ok guys i just got 18" Motegi MR7 rims...i got the back two on just fine but in order to put the front two on i have to removie the center caps because the hub sticks out so far...the only way for them to fit on is to remove the center caps so the hub slids through the hole......i really want the center caps on they look cool...i dont want to use spacers cuz they can mess with suspension has anyone else has this problem with center caps?

Re: Center cap on rims wont fit?
Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:43 AM
Call the place that you got the wheels from, or call motegi directly (866-466-8344) and tell them the problem. We have this problem with some ADR wheels, and they make a deeper center cap to fit over the hub.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:52 AM
Weird. I never had any issues with mine. Are some brake rotors thinner than others or something? Are all hubs not the same?

Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:50 PM
I dunno bout it being the hub's fault. More like the caps depth isnt enough for the hub.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:03 PM
i had that problem with my ADR's

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:18 PM
I wonder if it's the wrong offset, but yeah I would call Motegi and see if they offer a different center cap.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:57 PM
Holy MR7's batman!!! ANOTHER SET!!! Thats what about 450 + on this board now??
WOW..... talk about modding a car to your own taste to differ from everyone else.. hahah ya right... lol...

Anyways real solution to this problem, after making sure the offset is right, and there is nothing wrong with the car, maybe the front hub assembly has been replaced with an cheaper, generic auto parts store brand after the car's front end was in a accident form the previous owner, or something to do with that, its always possible if you bought the car used....

But its GOTTA be the offset. If the stock centercaps fit fine, then aftermarket wheels will fit ok.. Or should. Umm if the wheels are the right offset... then there is something wrong there.. but the easiest way to solve this problem would be very small spacers if your just off by alittle bit. As long as there is plenty of stud for the nut to grab onto.. you should be fine. But me personally.. i would send the wheels back and get proper ones. IF you can still do that. Alot of places won't return wheels once the tires have been mounted. Thats why test fits are usually done before the tires are mounted.

I had to modify the end of my spindles on the front of my truck to get the grease cap to fit over it... but I got that all fixed up they fit nice now..

Draggin' That A**
Friday, March 25, 2005 9:23 PM
I don't believe the MR7's are available in different offsets so I don't think that will be the issue.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:41 AM
Part No. Size Offset Backside Bolt Patterns Wieght
2073-87517 18x7.5 +45 6 5x100 & 5x4.5 27.5 lbs
2073-7717 17x7 +40 5 1/2 5x100 & 5x4.5 24.5 lbs
2073-6717 16x7 +42 5 5/8 5x100 & 5x4.5 20 lbs
2073-56517 15x6.5 +35 4 7/8 5x100 & 5x4.5 16.5 lbs
2073-4617 14x6 +35 4 7/8 5x100 & 5x4.5 15.8 lbs

They do come in different offsets, but not in the same size. Offset only differ's when you go from size to size. So it can't be the offset or backspacing, becuase those are all the 5x100 bolt pattern options for the MR-7's. So the next thing to do I guess, is find someone on here that is running 18 inch MR's and see if they incountered the same problem you are having Cody. Only thing I could really suggest. Weasel said his fit just fine....He has the 18's. So I really have no idea what to suggest. Spacers may be your only option. Do you have aftermarket brakes of some kind on your car? Or have you modified the hub assembly in anyway? I don't know....

Draggin' That A**
Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:05 AM
i had that prob w/ my mr8s and all i did was grind about 1/8 off the end of each axle.... then the centercaps fit perfect...

hope that helps

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:58 AM
Flaked Z-Fire wrote:i had that prob w/ my mr8s and all i did was grind about 1/8 off the end of each axle.... then the centercaps fit perfect...

hope that helps

If there's no other underlying reason for the issues, then this may be the best solution.

Is this a problem on both sides?

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:27 AM
^ I had to grind off alittle on the end of the spindle on my truck for my centre caps to fit in the front of mine better as well.. Better then using spacers.

Draggin' That A**
Saturday, March 26, 2005 12:28 PM
worst case just shave the back of the caps and use a adhesive to hold them on that will do you and get things taken care of

cardomain page
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:41 PM
got the same problem with my G-racing Seki's.... tried to get shops around here to grind off some of the axle, and NOBODY will touch it... everyone is seriously afraid of liability issues with grinding or filing the axle. Im told the metal is tempered and the heat from grinding it could weaken it and it was a totally unsafe idea.... this is by 4 different shops... im stumped
Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:40 PM
Use a saw's all and lots of lubrication while doing it to keep heat down.. easy to do yourself... will only take about 10 mins a side... take it slow, and get someone else to spray some lube on every few second....

Draggin' That A**
Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:03 PM
My Sekis came with different center caps than what were pictured on the website site, deeper ones to accomodate for the hub. My Unknowns should be here this week though

Sunday, April 17, 2005 7:36 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Flaked Z-Fire wrote:i had that prob w/ my mr8s and all i did was grind about 1/8 off the end of each axle.... then the centercaps fit perfect...

hope that helps

If there's no other underlying reason for the issues, then this may be the best solution.

Is this a problem on both sides?

yeah it was like that on both sides....
but i talked to the guys at waukeegan tire in waukeegan il. and also to the techs at tire rack and they both recommended the same thing...
they both said to do it a lil bit at a time and to cool it with water as to not heat weaken the c.v. shaft metal...
did it as i was told and it all works and fits perfect now.

but again they said i could just buy new larger center caps and that would work also.

btw... brought this back from the dead cuz i was im'd last night from someone on the .org asking me about this.... and im bored also

laters

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:58 AM
wow.....

anyway, its not a deal with offset (although smaller offsets have less issues with this), its just the design of the wheel, and how the center cap is located. THATS IT, NO OTHER REASONS FOR THIS.

so grind it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, April 17, 2005 6:21 PM
I had the exact same problem with my rims this weekend and was told by the company that they will try to find a cap to work if they cant i will have to trim a lil bit off ....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search