performance tires - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
performance tires
Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:16 PM
ok, so, i will be getting some alloys soon(probably z24 rims) cuz right now i have 14 steelies, and i need a tire to go with it...the tires will be mostly road course tires, since i have the steelies for the street. looking into tires that are flexible in diff. environments, and i keep looking at nitto neogens, and goodyear eagle f1 all seasons.(looking at all seasons, cuz i don't want to be driving back from a race and die cuz it started raining...and also i'll probably want to drive with the z rims on once and a while). what do you guys think of these tires? anyone used em? any other ones i should be looking into?

Re: performance tires
Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:21 PM
actually, i'm looking now, and i can't find the neogens in 16, haha, guess they're out...unless i go with a bigger wheel....but then thats more money...hmmm...well, assuming i stick with the z wheels, what do you guys think?
Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:14 PM
bridgestone is probably the top pick for most, but goodyear kumho yokohama even falken, they all make very good competitive options for all seasons, but none of them even come close to the performance of a good high performance summer tire.
high performance summer tires still need to follow the same safety standards that all seasons do because they are still intended to be driven on public roads, and depending upon the tire, the wet traction can still be extremely good. it's when you start getting into track only tires where you would start having some REAL wet traction issues, because they are intended for off road use only a lot of the time and not meant to be driven on wet surfaces, unless otherwise stated.
my reccomendation would be to reconsider a high quality summer tire. i would suggest either the ever so popular Falken Azenis, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Kumho Exstas, Yokohama Advans, or my current tire of choice, Hankook Ventus RS-2's (recently replaced with RS-3's). they are all very good options if you're looking for a streetable tire that will more than hold they're own on a road course. my own personal experience would be with the hankooks. they have a nicely stiff sidewall, hold the road very well and still have very good wet traction, better than the all seasons i had on before them for sure. air them down to factory specs and they still ride very nice, AND they're cheap! i think my next tire will probably be a set of Azenis though.
just throwin that out there.
im unsure what size you're looking into for the 16's, factory is 205/55 but if the intention is good grip i would go with 225/50/16. they will fit on z rims, and should not rub. the more tire touching the ground, the better.

hope that helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:16 PM

Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:08 AM
^^^^^^
good advice, I gotta tell ya bud I would go with some goodyear eagles get the 16's you can get alum at the salvage yard for like 30 a piece maybe less my brother owns a junk yard, if you like I can grab u a set and ship em to ya, He will prob give em to me for like 50 for the set, sets were I'm from are 5, that way you have a full size spare thqt does not look stupid when you put it on(ie burnout comps, @!#$ in the road/track, if your going to a burnie comp though take the 14's and get some scrap yard used tires and burn them not your good tires, if ya want I'll call him in the am and get back to you on a price if your close to western ny I could bring em to ya, or you can meet me like half way and grab em this would prolly be cheaper than ups or fed ex or dhl.

pm me and I'll send you my number, if your interested.

Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:41 AM
PM'ed!

thanks for the advice everyone!
Friday, January 08, 2010 10:56 AM
ok, so looking at more tires, and talking to ppl that have used the f1 all seasons, and they don't really like em. so, i'm gonna look for a better one...how about michelin pilot sport a/s plus in 225/50zr 16 92y?

not a bad looking tire based on that rating..a bit more cost, but as long as i get what i pay for, i'm happy to spend it
Monday, January 11, 2010 1:36 PM
nitto's are good tires also...i have been trialing tires for the past 4 yrs now n i have had...falken, bridgestone, nitto, hankook and goodyear...n so far for the best grip n handling, i would have to say but the nitto's that i have on there now are the overall for price and quality...but everyone has their own opinion...but 2nd in line would be my hankook's...but mine were the summer high performance..
Monday, January 11, 2010 2:14 PM
yea, i'm thinking about getting some 18's for some summer only tires...i can't decide what to do yet...i wiah i could sample some tires...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search