Steelies w/ spray paint, center caps? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steelies w/ spray paint, center caps?
Monday, August 23, 2010 4:55 PM
I've been AWOL on here for a while, last couple weeks have been hard to get anything done (moving, school, etc.) but I decided last week that after a year of owning them, I'm going to sell my 17'' alloy rims with tires and put the 15'' steelies back on. This is because Im trying to save money for the suspension upgrade (eibach springs, koni yellows w/sway bars). Since I hate how hub caps look, I decided to give them the rattle can paint job. Cleaning them was a pain because they had gotten pretty rusted and caked with grime, but simple green, steel wool and 800 grit wet sanding got them decent enough for paint. 3 coats of primer, along with 2 coats of gunmetal-ish paint, and they all look like the pic that was attached. Tomorrow comes the clear coat...

Has anyone here ever done this? I've heard that the paint will last for a long time, so long as you follow the instructions on the cans. How many coats of clear should I do? Also, I'm looking for center caps that would work on a cavalier, just want some suggestions if you have any.
Attachments
0823101935.jpg (75k)

Re: Steelies w/ spray paint, center caps?
Monday, August 23, 2010 5:06 PM
i'd go with 2 or 3 light coats of clear, and i have no idea where you'd find center caps for those lol.

i'm sure some will say you need more clear but meh....

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:12 PM
blucavvy wrote:i'd go with 2 or 3 light coats of clear, and i have no idea where you'd find center caps for those lol.

i'm sure some will say you need more clear but meh....

Thats what I was thinking... if its anything like body work, too much clear will end up cracking due to the increased rigidity... or so Im told.

Nice to hear from you Blu, did you ever get that thing worked out with your landlord?

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:53 PM
for the most part. it's still kind of an iffy situation but yeah for the most part it's done.

i just got a ton of parts chrome dipped in my engine bay. i'll send ya a teaser

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:20 AM
Cool, do show! Funny how I like chrome under the hood moreso than on the car

Just got the clear on, looks 1000 times better. Doing the lug nuts as well. Honestly I doubt the paint will stay on when I take the impact gun to them, but eh, what the hell? Worth a shot, IMO

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:00 PM
Get some Neo Rainbow lugs. I need to paint my steels too because the 17s come off when I move for college. No hoodrat is making off with them.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:15 AM
maybe police package hub caps

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:54 AM
thats totally the look I want, Mike. I forsee a few junkyards in my future.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:27 AM
Considered "tuner" lugs? They come in all sorts of colours, and aren't too expensive.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:50 AM
Snotty Marc wrote:Considered "tuner" lugs? They come in all sorts of colours, and aren't too expensive.

I looked at them, thought about it while I was painting the stock lugs the same color as the rims. I might spring for them later if I dont like how it looks all the same color. That pic is really bad, the fluorescent shop light gave that weird reddish reflection.

Currently looking for impala or crown vic center caps, not having much luck. I know im going to want a center cap to hide the ugly center. The search is on! Gonna be posting my 17''s to the northeast classifieds soon, if anyones interested. $550 for rims and decent tires. Pics will follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:40 AM

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:28 PM
Found these on ebay...

Pretty sure they would work... gonna get some paint because the "special edition" has gotta go.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:49 PM
IDK about that since the S-10 is a different bolt pattern how do you plan on attaching them since it looks like they snap on the lugs?

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:07 PM
Not exactly sure, Jeff. Its why I hate buying stuff on ebay. By the looks of it, center caps on stock steels are pretty much impossible to find. Thought those early 90s s-10s were 5x100, but yeah, looked it up and sure enough, not 5x100. Just hope it isnt going to look horrible without them. Might go with the tuner lugs after all.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:12 PM
Get some old corsica, berretta, or 1st/2nd gen center caps. I'm sure there are other 5x100's im forgetting but theres a few to look for that had center caps on steelies.

I <3 JGM
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:33 PM
AWESOME. Had no luck with Impala/Crown Vics but found some beretta ones that will work nice, just ordered them. Thanks Jeff!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:09 PM
np anytime

I <3 JGM

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:04 AM
Please post pics.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, September 06, 2010 3:03 PM
Sorry it took a while to get this up, but this is my finished product... Those center caps are from a '93 Beretta, direct fitment, and a hell of a lot better looking than hub caps!
Attachments
0906101805.jpg (69k)

Monday, September 06, 2010 6:44 PM
they came out alright. i still say you need some actual wheels but looks good

Monday, September 06, 2010 7:33 PM
Just a thought, but what about adding some chrome trim rings? Might really set them off.

Holy Burnt pistons Batman...we used too much NOS!

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:55 AM
Feel you on the rims, Blu... but these will have to do until some more money comes my way

2001cav, are you talking about those chrome rings that fit along the outer part of the rim?

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:13 AM
I might have to find some of those.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:04 PM
i feel you on the money thing bud lol. believe me i do.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:25 PM
Cavaclysmic wrote:Feel you on the rims, Blu... but these will have to do until some more money comes my way

2001cav, are you talking about those chrome rings that fit along the outer part of the rim?

Yeah he is. I know my old 89 Beretta had those rings and even tho they were simple they did make it look alot better. Those may work!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search