Painting factory rims - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painting factory rims
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:58 AM
I've been thinking about minor things I can do to my car while it sits for the rest of the month (I lost my license. 30 days.)

Would painting the factory rims (I have an 04 LSS) be considered cheap and just sort of... I don't know, cheating I guess?

I love the look of gunmetal/black/pinstriped rims, but my job doesn't exactly pay top dollar (can't complain though, I'm sixteen and I actually have a job, unlike quite a few people I know).

I know I can afford paint/supplies, and I know I have the time and space to to it, I'm just wondering if it's better to just deal with my rims stock until I save up enough for real rims.

Thoughts anyone? And if you say it's fine, what's your opinion on colors? Anything you think looks best, because I'm still not sure what color I want to go with, even if I do paint them. (My car's factory blue, by the way)

Re: Painting factory rims
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:21 AM
nothing wrong with painting rims. makes u not look like every other cavalier on the road.

color wise, i'd say gunmetal, or bronze. don't do black!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:54 PM
As far as bronze goes, with my color, wouldn't that just look like a wanna be impreza? Hahah.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:59 PM
gunmetal.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:03 PM
Heres a photoshop of something I just did. After seeing it, it doesn't look as good as I originaly thought, but you might like it.

I would suggest something a little darker (was supposed to be gold but came out really yellow). That was done pretty quickly so please ignore the unfinished back wheel and overspray on the lugnuts... Anyway its just a suggestion other than whats commonly done.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:07 PM
The way the rims look in the picture, I'm gonna have to say pass, considering the first thing I thought of was Shrek.

Gold, on the other hand...
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:32 PM
LSS wheels look goofy painted in general IMO.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:17 AM
that is definately not bronze

WiGM-Tuners member.
Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:42 PM
02_redbadged wrote:that is definately not bronze

Wasn't supposed to be bronze. My original idea was gold, but it obviously turned out alot more yellow than gold, I just thought I would post it anyway incase the op liked it.
Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:06 PM
Are yours chrome, or machine face with painted accents? If they are machine face, it might look good on that color to paint the accents body color and leave the machine face the way it is.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:27 AM
They're chrome.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:54 AM
painting chrome rims....

dont paint them, they will chip and you will hate yourself.... i donno just what i think

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:01 PM
I just got done painting my chrome rims with Dupli-color Wheel coating in Charcoal. What I did however was mask off the face of the chrome wheel and just painted the accents. Im working on getting a pic up for you to see soon.
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:08 PM
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:11 PM
oh one more thing, with all the prep work (removing 2 wheels at a time, followed by washing,drying,masking,sanding,painting,clearing and reinstalling) all 4 took just a tad over 7 hours.
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:04 PM
check the sig for what i did to mine...

Friday, September 10, 2010 11:30 AM
what is that? same thing i did except body color? I like it. I wanted to go bodycolor but too much of a hassle i guess. good job though.
Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:59 PM
i was thinking metal cast black on the machined face and either leaving the factory accents like they are or blacking them too-either flat or gloss-havent decided-IF however i leave the orange body kit(picked up the factory front and rear bumpers and Type J sideskirts cheap in the factory orange color) on my black 05.....i may do orange inserts....jus to be me

"I can't believe you are doin all this to a Cavalier!"-Everybody Else
"Hey-at least its not a damn civic!!"-ME
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search