Winter Tire Question - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Winter Tire Question
Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:06 PM
Alright I am looking to buy new tires for the winter on Tirerack. The tires i am looking at are called "studdable" tires. These may seem stupid but doese that mean i have to stud them when i get them?

I have never bought brand new tires because i never had as good of a job as i do now haha.

Re: Winter Tire Question
Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:20 PM
Ok wait... i just seen an option to stud them for 15 dollars each. My bad.

Now my question is, should i do that? I mean the money isnt the issue but i know after a certain date they are illegal. And i also know they make an already loud tire even louder haha. Is it that much of a difference?

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:46 AM
Hi!

I ive in Eastern Quebec, I've had more than my share of winter tires.lol Studded tires are good if you roll mostly on icy gravel roads. The problem with studded tires is when you want to brake or turn rapidly on non-icy roads, it tends to make the tires slide instead of gripping.
Also, they make a pretty good growl when rolling.

Depends of where you live and where you drive. In my opinion, just buy a good overall winter tire.

On a side note, last winter I tried for free some NEXEN winguard 231 winter tires. Yes, those sold at WalMart. They were awesome! The rubber compound is great even at -25C. They must be the most underrated tires out there. I preferred them over Yokohama Ice guards and Toyo GO-2's.
Monday, October 11, 2010 6:00 AM
Yeah that does make sense.... I live in central Pennsylvania so we get pretty brutal winters ourselves... And i live HIGH in the mountains so its amplified hahaha.

I think i'll take your advice and go with regular winter treads.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic&partnum=055QR6AMAXA&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Those are the tires im thinking about. Firestone Winterforces are cheaper but the rating actually arent as good.

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:43 AM
Those Generals seem to have a great thread pattern. Pretty sure you'll like them! Good price too! There like 155$ canadian over here. lol

As the the Firestone's I've heard they were pretty decent but on heavier type of cars.
Monday, October 11, 2010 8:24 AM
I had Bridgestone Winterforces for 2 years and seriously the best tires I ever owned. They pretty much refused to slip no matter how @!#$ty the weather got. Only drawback was the super soft rubber they use. 2 winters and they were toast.

Monday, October 11, 2010 9:01 AM
i run the general altimax arctic on my s10 and LOVE them super love them.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:30 AM
Yeah.... It seems like either would be a good choice. I have the money right now i just want to wait for my next check so i dont take things close. haha.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:27 AM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:Hi!

I ive in Eastern Quebec, I've had more than my share of winter tires.lol Studded tires are good if you roll mostly on icy gravel roads. The problem with studded tires is when you want to brake or turn rapidly on non-icy roads, it tends to make the tires slide instead of gripping.
Also, they make a pretty good growl when rolling.

Depends of where you live and where you drive. In my opinion, just buy a good overall winter tire.

On a side note, last winter I tried for free some NEXEN winguard 231 winter tires. Yes, those sold at WalMart. They were awesome! The rubber compound is great even at -25C. They must be the most underrated tires out there. I preferred them over Yokohama Ice guards and Toyo GO-2's.

I run Nexen tires on my 17s (in the summer) love them, best tires i've had yet, and they were cheap.

For winters right not i'm running Pacemark Snowtrakkers, they get the job done for a low price, i didn't expect to have this car for another winter though so i need 2 more... kinda roasted them off

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Sunday, October 24, 2010 8:11 PM
I'll never run a General Tire again after seeing the absolute junk tires my dad kept getting from the dealer for the oem rubber on his Colorado. Tire's he drove it off the lot with refused to balance because they were all ovals. Next set they gave him 2 were ovals, 3rd broke belts after only a couple thousand miles.

I bought Blizzak WS60's this year. It hasnt snowed yet but I hate them on the dry, it feels like my hands are numb when I'm driving, I just cant feel the road and the steering effort is reduced from my star specs (a bad thing), they're also scary keeping up with traffic on the highway over 85. We'll have to see how they are once it snows though.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:12 AM
Leafy wrote:I'll never run a General Tire again after seeing the absolute junk tires my dad kept getting from the dealer for the oem rubber on his Colorado. Tire's he drove it off the lot with refused to balance because they were all ovals. Next set they gave him 2 were ovals, 3rd broke belts after only a couple thousand miles.

I bought Blizzak WS60's this year. It hasnt snowed yet but I hate them on the dry, it feels like my hands are numb when I'm driving, I just cant feel the road and the steering effort is reduced from my star specs (a bad thing), they're also scary keeping up with traffic on the highway over 85. We'll have to see how they are once it snows though.

Had a couple sets of blizzaks...never again. Like you say they feel mushy and you cant feel the road. Last for maybe 2 seasons if your lucky. I liked my yokahama iceguards. But trying x-ice's this year.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search