Sudden Tire Roll - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sudden Tire Roll
Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:09 PM
Ok, now i've never noticed any tire side to side tire roll while in corners before, or at least very little. Now, on the highway on my way home today i noticed nearly every time i turned the back seemed to almost sway, i drove this same highway yesterday and didn't notice it. I pulled over and was pushing on the side of the car because at first i thought something was wrong with the rear end, the car shook back and forth almost as much as my friends s10 with a 215/75/15 on it. I looked at the suspension and the wheels, the rims moved exactly with the body but the tire roll was the most i've ever seen on this car.

Is there anything that could cause this much tire roll so suddenly, and since i know someone will say it, yes, the tires are inflated to the correct psi.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.

Re: Sudden Tire Roll
Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:35 PM
sounds like a belt in the tires has seperated.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:28 PM
Well, i noticed only the passenger rear is the only one doing it. Tires are only 3 months old and barely worn. Warranty time.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Monday, November 15, 2010 6:07 PM
It could also be as easy as its getting cold out and your tire pressure is getting low.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:00 AM
Adam L wrote:and since i know someone will say it, yes, the tires are inflated to the correct psi.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:08 AM
And what do you mean by correct? What you should be running is different for ever car/wheel/tire combo.

Once you get your chassis to a certain point you'll have more grip than the tires can handle, so you have to slightly increase your tire pressure to stop them from rolling. The asphalt is also getting cold, which will give less grip.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:57 AM
Well i gave it a shot anyway and increased the air in the two rear tires. As for being cold, it's been warmer here for the last week then it was all september, i've been wearing a t-shirt some days. Though it did decrease the roll by quite a bit i'm still feeling the same thing just not to the same extreme. I'm going to be putting on my winter tires tomorrow so i'll see if it still is doing, if so it looks like i'm looking at bigger problems.

Now, it started doing this sunday night when i was driving home. Sunday morning i had been backing my car into a cleared spot into the woods to get it out of the way and i hit the cross piece of the rear end dead center on a stump, it didn't appear to damage anything but a slightly bent brake line, i checked the rear end to see if anything was loose but everything seemed solid. I'll have to jack up the car and check out what's going on. If i bent that cross brace at all could that cause this?

I assumed it was tire roll due the amount the tires were rolling but perhaps your correct, maybe my "correct" psi isn't what it's supposed to be and maybe it's always been at that point, it would just be at the point that the garage put it at when the tires were installed. So if that is true than i've always been getting that tire roll which means something else is causing this.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:31 AM
Yeah, if you bent the axle it would feel goofy

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:54 AM
I've got the ass end jacked up right now and there is a small dent in the rear end, i'll ignore it for now mainly because i might be buying a z24 that just needs a coil pack to be running again for $300. I don't know if it's auto or manual yet, that'll be my decision maker lol.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:36 AM
So, the z24 was a hunk of crap and my rear end is toast. Rear axle is bent, rear wheels are toed out and whenever i hit ice or snow whichever wheel has more traction it pulls towards that side and i have to counter steer while going straight to keep the car on the road. Looks like i got a new project on my hands.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search