why wont these fit?? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
why wont these fit??
Monday, December 13, 2010 12:08 PM
i just bought some rims and tires off craigslist at a really good price. i tried putting them on my 04 cavalier but it seems that the studs arent long enough. the wheels i think are 1000 miglia (atleast thats what the center cap says) and i think the guy got them off of a wrecked audi tt. any idea what that problem is?

thanks

Re: why wont these fit??
Monday, December 13, 2010 12:28 PM
Did you get the lug nuts with them?
They might take something like this:

If so, the stock cavalier ones will not work. They won't reach the studs.
Monday, December 13, 2010 1:05 PM
i didnt get any lug nuts with them. what are those ones in the picture called and how much do they cost??
Monday, December 13, 2010 2:28 PM
Your best bet would be to take a lug nut off of your car (for size and thread matching) along with one of the wheels you bought to a tire store that sells aftermarket wheels. They will be able to get you a set of lug nuts that will work correctly.
Not sure about the price, it depends on the type and finish. A simple chrome one may be around $1.50 to $2.00 apiece. Fancy ones will be a whole lot higher.
At any rate, you should be able to get ones that are proper fitting for your wheels, at a decent price.

Hope this helps
Monday, December 13, 2010 2:59 PM
1000 miglia is not the make of the wheel IIRC. Although, it is printed on the center caps of some models, the name originally comes from a series of races. Alot of the Mille's that I have seen are production car take-off's. If you do have a set of Mille Miglia's, You probably have a set of Spiders or Porsche Twists as those are the most common 5x100 mille's that I see...

Run through this link and find the set that looks like yours and we can go from there.

(I noticed a bit too late that you already know what car they are from )

I'm full of fail today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 13, 2010 3:06 PM

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:09 PM
i didnt find them on that link but here is a picture i took
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:26 AM
I suspect those probably do take a long nut. Just do as I suggested and you should have a set or proper lug nuts within minutes
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:57 AM
ok the guy called me and said he has lugs so when i went to get them they were not what i was expecting. they were like bolts.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:03 AM
Yeah, Audis and VW's have bolts not nuts.

You may need something like these: Click here.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:10 AM
ok now my next question is. how far on the stud does the lug nut actually have to be on for it to be safe to drive??
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:15 AM
The general rule is half the width of the bolt. But, I wouldn't trust that.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:18 AM
ha well then ill definetly need longer studs then
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:31 PM
are you trying to use your stock lugs? because those may need tuner style lugs that go deeper into the rims.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:36 PM
i am trying to use stock lugs but i need to get new ones because the stock ones are so fat that the tire iron wont fit to tighten them up. so could differnt lugs just do the trick. i had enkei rs6 on my car before and never had a problem with the studs being to short with those
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:36 PM
Take the wheel to a tire store.
Take a lug nut off of your car so they can size it and match the threads (though they will probably know what size/thread is standard).
Tell them you need a lug nut with a shank that will go down into the lug hole of your new wheels.
If the hole is too small in diameter for a shanked lug nut to work, tell them you need studs long enough for it as well as nuts that will properly mate to the wheel.
Any reputable tire store will be able to get you fixed up, one way or the other.
DO NOT try to rig something yourself that could endanger you and others. In this matter, seek help from professionals. Most likely they can change the studs for you if needed, mount the wheels PROPERLY and align the car.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:56 PM
it just needs tuner stlye lugs imo

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:03 PM
IamQwibby (Eco Meatcake) wrote:it just needs tuner stlye lugs imo

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:23 PM
The size lugs you need is M12 x 1.5
"tuner" or "locking" lugs at autozone or advanced would work fine.

Cheaper then gorilla lugs and you can get internally splined if the fit is that tight.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:58 PM
ok. ill try some tuner style lugs. thanks guys
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:34 PM
I am not so sure tuner lug nuts will work, unless they are shanked to go down into the holes to grab his existing studs.
That is the problem he is having (from the sound of it). So he either needs a shanked lug nut (to go down into the hole grabbing more threads), or needs longer studs if a non shanked nut is used..
It sounds like the wheel is thicker (depth of hole) than a normal wheel for his car. If that is the problem, those Gorilla ones in the post above will still not grab the stud. If the wheel is thicker, there is only two options. Shanked nuts or longer studs.

To the OP.
Take a piece of tape and fix it flat against the inside mounting surface (back side) of the wheel covering a lug bolt hole. Then stick a screw driver in the hole from the front and mark how deep it goes once it touches the tape. Compare that to the length of your stud. If your stud isn't at least 1/2" longer than what you find the depth to be, the two options I meantioned are your only options.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:50 PM
Here is what I mean.

In this example, the yellow line is the wheel. The red is the stud.

Note how the standard type lug nut is not grabbing enough of the stud. The shanked lug nut goes deep into the wheel's hole grabbing plenty of stud threads.
To make a standard type have enough threads, will require longer studs. The shanked one will not require longer studs, since it is designed to go into the hole to better reach the stud threads.
You just have to make sure the hole is big enough in diameter so the shank will go in it. Hard to tell in the photo of the wheel you posted, but it may be large enough for them.
If the hole isn't big enough for a shanked nut, you will have to get longer studs

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:08 PM
i am going to agree with butch here. I think these wheels might be the same style at teh scion tc wheels, that require what butch is talking about.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:28 PM
Could very well be in which case he could use longer studs and tuner style lugs, since we can't use the lug bolts style lugs.

Or maybe wheel adapters, but all depends how bad he wants to get these on his car.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:34 PM
i bought some shanked lugs and they wouldnt fit through the hole in the rim. so i returned them and bought some tuner style lugs. they are all the way on on the rear wheels and 3/4s of the way on the front. is 3/4s enough or should i still get longer studs for the front??
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:07 AM
can you take a pic of the lug hole, that may help cuz you do not want to use the wrong lugs and have them come off at highway speeds(I have seen it happen, not nice)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search