To those who live in snowy/salty areas - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
To those who live in snowy/salty areas
Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:38 PM
At what point do you guys take off your winter wheels and put on your summer wheels, if you have them? This will be my very first year where I have winter wheels and summer wheels. Just not sure what point it would be safe for the wheel finish to go on.
And please don't tell me when the snows stops. I just need a relatively good idea what month, or whatever you put your wheels on.
I had another question, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
Thanks guys.

Re: To those who live in snowy/salty areas
Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:37 PM
i take off my summer wheels around thanksgiving and put them back on usually towards the end of march
Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:47 PM
It really depends on what area you live in. Some places don't see snow after February. Others have snow in May.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:57 PM
I wait for at least one week of dry pavement (no ice, no snow)

Monday, January 31, 2011 4:29 AM
I usually take them off in late november and put them back on in may. That way I completely avoid the stuff all together. Im not worried about the snow as that wont hurt anything. Its the salt that eats the finish up. Usually late november it snows and then I take them off because the salt trucks follow. it all depends on the weather. I just bought new rims and dont want to take any chances.

(BlackFire)
Monday, January 31, 2011 4:52 AM
2nd week in Nov winter tires go on, 2nd week in Apr summer tires go on

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:23 AM
After the RAIN washes off the roads a couple time in April. NO MORE SALT.

Monday, January 31, 2011 7:32 AM
I used to wait gor a good rain or two

Monday, January 31, 2011 7:41 AM
ROKN20S - aka JuicyJ wrote:After the RAIN washes off the roads a couple time in April. NO MORE SALT.

this..........

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Monday, January 31, 2011 7:44 AM
Mid april they go on. unless it gets nice earlier. wheels come off when snow flies.

Monday, January 31, 2011 4:23 PM
late march usally

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:21 PM
I'm kinda digging the wait for a good rain or two idea, which in ny is usually around April/may.

And My wheels are brand new too, which is why i was asking.

Thanks for the opinions guys, appreciate it.

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:43 PM
Summers come off once the temps drop below 40 and go back on once the temps go above 40. Do way am I going to risk ruining that expensive rubber driving it in the cold, screw the wheels those are cheap cheap part of a wheel and tire setup.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:57 AM
I go to winters after the initial snow flurry or two we get in late November. Summers go back on after Im confident the last major snowfall is over. Im not too concerned with residual salt on the roads. I just hit the wheels with come detailer if they look hazy.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:25 PM
I go to college in upstate NY, so October break my winters go on. They come off May 19th, the day after I get back from college. I do not take any chances with a sudden late snow storm. Yeah doin the long a$$ haul from Cortland to Long Island will wear the tires more but it beats ending up in some snowbank.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:59 PM
My summer wheels stay on year round, they just stay in the garage along with the car from October 31 to May 1
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:05 PM
Ryan Thompson wrote:My summer wheels stay on year round, they just stay in the garage along with the car from October 31 to May 1

On jack stands?

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:04 PM
I always take them off holloween weekend and put them back on first week of April.

Friday, February 04, 2011 5:02 PM
Leafy wrote:Summers come off once the temps drop below 40 and go back on once the temps go above 40. Do way am I going to risk ruining that expensive rubber driving it in the cold, screw the wheels those are cheap cheap part of a wheel and tire setup.

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:12 PM
when i had my new coopers installed in december the tire shop owner recommended the 40 degree swap. once it starts warming up beyond that, the soft compound of the winter tires will begin to wear more. peace, john

www.compassionforgreyounds.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.naioa.com
Friday, February 04, 2011 7:29 PM
hahaha not me ive had my summer wheels on until the other day lol. weve had 20inchs to date 17 recent. i was doing fine so said heck with it i just hot bucket wash them every few days. i hate my stockers needs tires but the new stockers do too lol. im at my cross roads haha. but i normally wait till mid dec to remove and then ususally end of march back on for cruise nights start poping up.

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:48 PM
03cav83 wrote:i take off my summer wheels around thanksgiving and put them back on usually towards the end of march

x2

Friday, February 04, 2011 8:15 PM
My 215 35 18s got @!#$ty after like 2 snow falls brand new konigs so I got some 15 inch steelies ill just go with new 45s next spring
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search