Grinding noise and vibration after changing the tires? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grinding noise and vibration after changing the tires?
Friday, June 03, 2011 6:18 PM
I just had a quick question.. I bought xxr 507 rims with 205/40/17. I knew it was the wrong tire size so I bought some used ones off someone on kijiji, cause I didn't have the money for new ones. when the guy brought them I was at work so my mom just gave him the money, didn't even look at them. They are 215/45/17
So anyways I brought it to the tire shop to get them put on and they told me one had a big bulge and had to be replaced. So I bought a used tire from them.
When I drove it home I heard this really loud grinding noise and it was vibrating (I could feel it right under my feet). Drove it back to the tire shop and they just closed, so I'm stuck til monday.
But when I drove it it was reallly loud when going like 0-40kmh and gets quieter (and faster) when going over 50. I haven't even gone any faster than 70 cause I'm scared my wheels gonna fall off.
I don't see any noticeable rubbing marks and 215/45/17 really shouldn't be rubbing anyways.
Im gonna rotate the rims tomorrow to see if that changes anything, and gonna look for nails and such, even tho I'm sure the tire shop would've said something.
Does anyone else know what it could be or had this problem?

Re: Grinding noise and vibration after changing the tires?
Friday, June 03, 2011 9:15 PM
check your lug nuts. make sure they tightened them. also check to see if your using the right lug nuts. i know some aftermarket rims require special lugs. and some like my trafficstars require the nut to be like stock. i make sure the lugnut is a 12x1.5 and not a 12x1.25.

Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:02 AM
azncav wrote:check your lug nuts. make sure they tightened them. also check to see if your using the right lug nuts. i know some aftermarket rims require special lugs. and some like my trafficstars require the nut to be like stock. i make sure the lugnut is a 12x1.5 and not a 12x1.25.

Lugs are all tight, I have the 12x1.5 tuner lugs. I brought it to the tire shop today, caught em just before they closed. He looked at the tire they sold me and said right away "I think I know what it is but I'm going to take it for a drive"
Anyways. He said he tire they sold me has washboard wear, and it's not dangerous just annoying. So Monday I have an appointment to get another tire put on if they have another used one. If not they're gonna switch Em to the back.

I tell ya, usually people are looking at my car cause of the bass, now it's cause this annoying vibration/grinding. Not a good feeling lol
Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:46 AM
Sorry I guess people call it "cupping" or "heel-toe wear" lol
O and apparently 215/45/17 is a "rare" tire size.
O the joys of living in a small town.
Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:59 AM
Are the balanced? Balancing will do that.
Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:03 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't even read much of the post, I need to stop doing that. What brand of tires are they and do you still have this problem?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search