Rim And Tire Sets For The Track - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rim And Tire Sets For The Track
Monday, August 22, 2011 11:56 AM
Just wondering what people are running for rims and tires for track drag applications?
Im stuck with 17" because of my brakes, so im looking for those sizes?
Im looking for the widest possible application, and I already have 13mm spacers for more clearance.
3mm between hub and rotor, and 10mm between rotor and rim.
Im going to need a set of these soon, once my tune is done.
I already have traction issues at 12 psi on street tires.

Kind Of Rim?
Width Of Rim?
Offset Of Rim?
Tire Profile?
Tire Brand?

Thanks

Re: Rim And Tire Sets For The Track
Monday, August 22, 2011 12:26 PM
I have to run 17" wheels as well becuase of my 13" brakes.

im running 17x 7.5" Focal f-5's with a 5mm spacer with extended wheel studs. I am using open lug nuts as well for the track.
Tires are BFGoodrich drag radials, 225/45's

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, August 22, 2011 3:29 PM
what brake kit do you have?

my wilwoods just showed up today and im running the wheels I bought off of fetter that clear. They are 16" wheels that fit over the wilwood 12.2" big brake kit.

the wheels are Maxxim Advances I think. and discontinued as well as TOUGH to find.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:24 AM
Brake kit is in my profile. Its custom.
16" might fit but I dont have any doners that I can use to test it.
It would be awesome if I could run the LS wheels, but Cody (Z's Z) already tried and they dont fit with the brakes
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:28 AM
so basically you have the wilwood big brake kit with subaru rotors? not all that custom. and i have the wilwood kit too and my 16's clear.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:21 AM
tracklites? Heliums? whatever lightweight wheel you can find.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:19 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:so basically you have the wilwood big brake kit with subaru rotors? not all that custom. and i have the wilwood kit too and my 16's clear.

haha nope, I have no wilwood kit .....
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:43 AM
Measure the distance from the center of the axle to the farthest point of your caliper (greatest distance).

Odds are you can get a 15" wheel to clear if you go with Bogarts or a similar wheel company that specializes in drag rims.

Fetter got Kiezers (sp) 15's made that clear his big brake kit.

I got 13" Bogarts made that clear my stock brakes.

Otherwise you are pretty much screwed in terms of good drag tires in the 16" and 17" sizes, you are pretty much stuck with drag radials.

MT is coming out with a 26/7.0-17 slick shortly that would probabaly be your best bet...even tho a 26" slick is too tall for what you need, its better than drag radials IMO.

Realistically, you should scrap your big brakes, run a 13" or a 15" rim with a set of 24.5\8.0 tires and you would be laughing.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:57 PM
Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers Front Calipers

thats what is in your profile, and thats what comes with the wilwood brake kits for our cars. how big is the rotor you are using?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:29 AM
Not the same caliper, did you look at my pics?
The kits use the Forged Billet Dynapro, a 4 piston with 3.54 sq in of piston area.
Im using the Forged Superlite International, a 4 piston with 4.80 sq in of piston area.
Its a much bigger caliper.
As for the rotor, the kit comes with a 12.19 x 0.81 rotor.
The ones im using are 12.84 x 1.25.

This is why im looking for a 17" rim and tire setup.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:53 AM
No i didnt look at your pics because im not going to go through all that trouble of you saying tee hee look at my big custom brake kit.

Did you look at tire rack? they have wheels too. they also have tires.

we hav people on here who can get 15" wheels to clear the wilwood 12.2" brake kit, so there are ways for you to get 16's to fit, youre not STUCK with 17" wheels.

Friday, August 26, 2011 9:07 AM
I'm running the stock steelies with the BFGoodrich G-force radials. I haven't had a chance to go to the track but i have heard good things
Monday, September 05, 2011 10:18 AM
I bet you could get diamond race wheels to make you custom 16"s that will fit over the brakes. Just give them the measurements they ask for on their site and they'll tell you.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, September 05, 2011 10:30 AM
All that money into brakes and engine modes and you're using cheap crappy springs and struts...

These guys know what they're talking about though.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:56 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:All that money into brakes and engine modes and you're using cheap crappy springs and struts...

My suspesion setup is fine, handle's well with no complaints.
Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:04 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:All that money into brakes and engine modes and you're using cheap crappy springs and struts...

Agreed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:31 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:

Your stock brakes and engine were fine, your suspension is terrible.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:19 PM
Bobby Higgins wrote:

Says the guy with a brake kit that only uses the outer 2 inches of a rotor that does nothing but fill up those 17's... but man your calipers are huge... you must be super cereal!

Here is a trick, since your so into custom setups... maybe put an 11" rotor on it... use the entire face of the rotor, never lose any surface area from where your at now... and while your at it realize that there is no point for any more piston surface area than on a stock wilwood setup to stop a car that weighs less than 3200lbs...

Than imagine that... you can run a 15" wheel and have your hearts desire worth of tire choices!

I never understood what the point of having a giant rotor on a brake setup if your not going to use the entire surface area. Some of the SSBC setups I have seen do it... looks like @!#$ to me... I don't see why you would'nt downsize the rotor, and move the caliper in further. It's not like anyone here is stopping the space shuttle with our cars...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:12 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
Bobby Higgins wrote:

Says the guy with a brake kit that only uses the outer 2 inches of a rotor that does nothing but fill up those 17's... but man your calipers are huge... you must be super cereal!

Here is a trick, since your so into custom setups... maybe put an 11" rotor on it... use the entire face of the rotor, never lose any surface area from where your at now... and while your at it realize that there is no point for any more piston surface area than on a stock wilwood setup to stop a car that weighs less than 3200lbs...

Than imagine that... you can run a 15" wheel and have your hearts desire worth of tire choices!

I never understood what the point of having a giant rotor on a brake setup if your not going to use the entire surface area. Some of the SSBC setups I have seen do it... looks like @!#$ to me... I don't see why you would'nt downsize the rotor, and move the caliper in further. It's not like anyone here is stopping the space shuttle with our cars...

Very good point.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search