Stretching tires? - Page 2 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Stretching tires?
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:16 AM
Cavaclysmic wrote:
Mike wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
BaggedOn20s wrote:I remember 1 J in particular that stretched some tires on 19"s.

Keep looking Lassie and you'll find Timmy.

this guy?

Even better

Same wheels, Different owner.

That black one is pure sexy @!#$in WIN...

The silver one looks like the rim is about rub against the QP. Still awesome, and I stand corrected. these can look really good if they are done right. Also, toyota tails ftw

That is exactly how it supposed to look if you're in the "stance" scene.

Airgazm, have you posted pics at stancenation.com yet? I'm sure they would like to see a cave like that. The weird thing is that site actually seems to have respectful people open to other types of cars. Something this place can't do.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:35 AM
Nah, i haven't yet...i've never even looked on that site. I am headed there now to check it out...i have a feeling that my morning is going to be shot...lol

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:38 AM
lol yea I like that site, I never posted on it just read and browse. I don't agree with much of the style on there but I see a lot of cool mods done I just don't pay attention to the things I don't like.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:09 PM
I can say this is the first time i've seen it on Js and it looks good, i saw a lot of VWs with it at an all VW show i went to, but some of them were to a ridiculous extreme

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:33 PM
Tinkles wrote:Technically my tires are stretched. 205s on a 7.5" wide wheel. It's a slight stretch at most, but 225s atleast should be on a 7.5" wide wheel.

I run 205's on 17x9's on my cav, thats far from a stretch on a 7.5" rim...

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 8:02 PM
I know that stretching came from Europe and its because they wanted to run wider wheels BUT its illegal to have the tread of the tire outside the fender. They have the rim and the sidewall outside the fender but not the tread. Drift guys also do it because it can help the tires break loose easier because of the forces on the sidewall. If you dont have to meet any legal requirements and aren't a hardcore drifter (you drive a fwd car, you dont drift) theres absolutely no reason to be doing it. And dont just do something because the VW guys are doing it, they're retarded on many levels. If you want to run a wide wheel, run a wide tire. Heck run the opposite of stretched. I'm running 205/55R16 on the stock 6 inch wide ls sport wheel, those tires should be mounted on a 6.5 inch wide rim.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, October 25, 2010 11:45 AM
meh ill keep my 215/45/17 on my 9.5 inch wheels. stretched looks good. :]

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:48 AM
Yeah I'm on bags I don't have any handling or safety anyway... So I'll take my chance with the stretch

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:28 PM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:meh ill keep my 215/45/17 on my 9.5 inch wheels. stretched looks good. :]

Pics foo!!!

They on yet?

Saturday, November 06, 2010 11:41 PM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:meh ill keep my 215/45/17 on my 9.5 inch wheels. stretched looks good. :]

Werd.

Threads like these make me realize just how far behind the J world is compared to the rest of the car scene...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, November 08, 2010 2:11 PM
Leafy wrote:I know that stretching came from Europe and its because they wanted to run wider wheels BUT its illegal to have the tread of the tire outside the fender. They have the rim and the sidewall outside the fender but not the tread. Drift guys also do it because it can help the tires break loose easier because of the forces on the sidewall. If you dont have to meet any legal requirements and aren't a hardcore drifter (you drive a fwd car, you dont drift) theres absolutely no reason to be doing it. And dont just do something because the VW guys are doing it, they're retarded on many levels. If you want to run a wide wheel, run a wide tire. Heck run the opposite of stretched. I'm running 205/55R16 on the stock 6 inch wide ls sport wheel, those tires should be mounted on a 6.5 inch wide rim.

Illegal, so is tinted windows, loud exhaust, no front license plates (some states), cat less exhaust etc. and that doesn't stop anyone here do you really think tread hanging out from the fenders will?
I personally am not a fan of stretch tires overall and definitely not the extreme cases. However, I have seen some cars pull some real cool looks with tuck and the lips/off sets of these rims.

It's like anything else if you don't like the style fine, but respect others and their choices. If no one ever did @!#$ like this we would all drive bone stock cars and there would be no such thing as a customized car.

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:25 PM
Europe does not = United States. But it is illegal to run tires outside the fenders over here too, I've yet to see any sky jacked pickup trucks get pulled over for it though. I'm just saying that stretch tires cam from Europe because of their tread law.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 08, 2010 5:27 PM
I wasn't expecting to get this much out of this thread. I definitely know what im driving. Being 17 y.o.,my cars a daily driver so I'm not looking to do anything too wild. Personally I'm a fan of some of the smaller cars with stretch because of the more aggressive stance. I'll probably end up going to my friends shop to try it out. More like this.

Monday, November 08, 2010 5:41 PM
I drive a silver car wrote:
Leafy wrote:I know that stretching came from Europe and its because they wanted to run wider wheels BUT its illegal to have the tread of the tire outside the fender. They have the rim and the sidewall outside the fender but not the tread. Drift guys also do it because it can help the tires break loose easier because of the forces on the sidewall. If you dont have to meet any legal requirements and aren't a hardcore drifter (you drive a fwd car, you dont drift) theres absolutely no reason to be doing it. And dont just do something because the VW guys are doing it, they're retarded on many levels. If you want to run a wide wheel, run a wide tire. Heck run the opposite of stretched. I'm running 205/55R16 on the stock 6 inch wide ls sport wheel, those tires should be mounted on a 6.5 inch wide rim.

Illegal, so is tinted windows, loud exhaust, no front license plates (some states), cat less exhaust etc. and that doesn't stop anyone here do you really think tread hanging out from the fenders will?
I personally am not a fan of stretch tires overall and definitely not the extreme cases. However, I have seen some cars pull some real cool looks with tuck and the lips/off sets of these rims.

It's like anything else if you don't like the style fine, but respect others and their choices. If no one ever did @!#$ like this we would all drive bone stock cars and there would be no such thing as a customized car.

post of the year.

Underdog Racing
Monday, November 08, 2010 6:09 PM
Troof

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:02 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
I drive a silver car wrote:

post of the year.

I agree who ever posted that is a stud!

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:47 AM
Sad thing is by the time I need new tires the stretch fad will be out.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:45 AM
yea it will be skinny rims inside the fenders by 4" or more and over sized tires. Just wait.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 11:54 AM
Or square wheels.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:24 PM
bosozoku is the next fad to hit America by storm.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:53 AM
Oh please God no...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:38 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:Oh please God no...

bahahahha you know i kid i kid.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:50 PM
Mike wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
BaggedOn20s wrote:I remember 1 J in particular that stretched some tires on 19"s.

Keep looking Lassie and you'll find Timmy.

this guy?

Even better

Same wheels, Different owner.

I take it that both sets of wheels r 8.5 wide?? if so, Man they look good, I'm dy'n to get a set of 18x8.5's n I hope they look like this when done, I alwayz loved the streched tire look but it looks dumb as hell when done too extreme.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:03 AM
I put 185s on 7.5" good stance with a 40 side wall

"Yes I am aware cut springs are hack!".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search