Tire pressure with 16" RIMS. - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tire pressure with 16" RIMS.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:09 AM
I have the 16" rims I believe the "stock" size tire on them. They are fuzion HRI, I believe the max psi is 44psi. I just went and had them filled with nitrogen and they filled them to 30psi which is what the door sticker calls for. Is this correct or should I have more PSI in them.
Thanks,
Lee

Re: Tire pressure with 16" RIMS.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:04 PM
the 44psi is the max rating for the tires. 30psi is fine
Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:15 PM
How much will it effect my mpg? I was running 35psi when I had regular air in it, but when I had them put in nitrogen that is what they put in it and I didn't want to argue til I got some info.
Thanks,
Lee
Friday, March 23, 2012 3:10 PM
for mpg the more the better in theory. i usually run between 35-40psi but it really doesn't make a noticeable difference tbh
Friday, March 23, 2012 3:47 PM
i usually just put all mine at 40lbs and call it a day

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:15 PM
Proper inflation is what the door jam says, not the max of the tire.

Increasing the pressure will decrease rolling resistance, and increase MPG slightly. I usually ran around 32-35 psi.

Please tell me you didn't spend any money getting pure nitrogen put in your tires...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:37 AM
I doubt it's "pure". I believe anywhere from 93-98% is what you need, and yes I did pay for it 20$...Which for peace of mind not having to check/fill tire pressure every month in winter is well worth it.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:04 AM
You should check your tire pressures regularly any way right?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:05 AM
Ya, but I don't have to put air in it.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:17 PM
Air is ~70% nitrogen already, all it would take is roughly 5 top ups and you would be well above 95% nitrogen. However you'd never get there because I barely need to top up my snow tires more than once in a season.

You wasted $20 on a gimmick.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:51 PM
I normally run mine at 32 psi. In order to get significant gains in MPG, it would be like around 50 - 60+ psi. At least from what I recall from when Mythbusters tested it a couple years ago.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:38 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:Air is ~70% nitrogen already, all it would take is roughly 5 top ups and you would be well above 95% nitrogen. However you'd never get there because I barely need to top up my snow tires more than once in a season.

You wasted $20 on a gimmick.
o
Sorry but that makes no sense. If you put regular air in the tires the amount of nitrogen isn't going to increase.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:50 PM
Sure it does, if you fill with 70% nitrogen and everything but the nitrogen leaks out over time, effectively giving you 100% nitrogen in the tire, but at a lower pressure, and then fill again with 70% nitrogen, you are now at 91% nitrogen at just the second fill. Repeat this process and at the 3rd fill you are over 97% nitrogen. 4th fill you are over 99% nitrogen.

That is assuming the nitrogen doesn't leak out, which in most cases it does, further proving the point that you wasted $20.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:52 PM
anything above 93.4% and the oxygen migrates back into the tire so a lot of that definitely isn't true. Show me some scientific evidence of this instead of just your statements. I haven't read anything about being able to get all this nitrogen in a tire by putting in regular air.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:21 AM
So you just admitted that your 98% is soon to be 93.4%? LAWL

It's simple dilution theory, IE physics. Your reasoning for using the 98% nitrogen is everything else will leak out, so assume everything but the nitrogen leaks out of the tire. Therefore if you put air in the tire and leave it for long enough, everything but the nitrogen will leak out, leaving you with pure nitrogen in the tire at a 30% lower pressure than you want. Now you add air again to bring you back up to pressure, which is adding 70% nitrogen to 100% nitrogen. The equation is simple...

concentration of N2 * percent to be refilled = increase in concentration
.7*.3=.21

.7+.21=.91 or 91% nitrogen

Repeat this process by waiting for everything else to leak out but the nitrogen and you are again at 100% nitrogen at a 9% lower pressure. Add air at 70%...

.7*.09=.063

.91+.063=.973 or 97.3% nitrogen

The third iteration of this gets you 99% nitrogen. That is the theory, but its all based on your assumption that the N2 doesn't leave the tire, which is incorrect, and therefore proves you wasted $20.

The reason you haven't read anything about it is the same reason you haven't read what a waste of money this is, you didn't want to hear it, you think nitrogen in your tires is going to make it a race car.

I'm going to go out and buy a tank of N2 at 2000psi for $80 and start selling it to you guys... I'd make thousands...

Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:37 PM
transporter is right in this situation. i know for a fact nitrogen is a gimmick i work for a dealership and have been told told multiple times by very knowledgeable people on how it actually works and it is exactly as transporter described it.
Monday, March 26, 2012 9:47 PM
Ok, but then how do you explain the psi loss with regular air vs. the dry nitrogen?
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:46 AM
Have you personally experienced it? You'd have to have had it for a few months to see any difference.

Did they reseat the tire when they switched to N2?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:49 AM
I have personally experienced psi loss with regular air in tires, definitely. Also I have had time with n2, in other peoples vehicles. Does not lose psi even close to that of regular air.
Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:25 PM
I have Eagle GT's with regular air and never experience air loss. From my days in school, if I remember correctly, the loss of air is directly linked to the quality of the tire rubber and how well it is molded together.

As for your psi question, I run 36psi up front and 32 psi in the back with no load in dry conditions. If I got passengers I'll bump the back to 36psi. Fully loaded I'll go 38psi all around. In snow conditions I may keep them 32psi up front and 30psi in the back.
*This is on stock 16" rims with 225/50R16
Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:25 PM
Even in the winter you never lose any psi? I have had some pretty good tires on plenty of vehicles and I always would lose some psi in winter months. Do you have automatic or manual? What kind of gas mileage are you getting. Any difference with the different psi? Thanks all for the info will keep it in mind.
-Lee

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:04 PM
i see plenty of cars with nitrogen lose air. i would say it is more about the quality of the tire then what is inside the tire
Friday, April 13, 2012 3:57 PM
i was gonna say you find me a tire filled with nitrogen that never needs a top up

first of all the 30 spi is the rate amount based on normal driving conditions and normaltire wear based on the weight of the vehical more air will wear out the centre of the tire
less air will wear out the outsides of the tire.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, June 22, 2012 8:49 PM
simply going by the psi marked on the door is foolish. ford had a problem a while back with tires blowing out. they had posted 28 psi and in doing so the tires would get excessively hot and blowout. You have to have some common sense and use good judgment. higher psi will wear the center and too low psi will wear the outside edges of the tread. 30 psi seems low if you want good gas mileage. the best gas mileage can be found if you set the tire psi to the max tire pressure which will often mean you'll have to go above the psi on the door. IMHO

off topic but I worked at ford and got to keep a new set of these tires, they were spear tires, and I ran them at 35 psi for years sometimes under excessive speeds. so it wasn't the tires, from my personal exp.
Friday, June 22, 2012 9:14 PM
Any other awesome information you'd like to share on a 2 1/2 month old thread?

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search