First gen wheel question - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First gen wheel question
Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:11 PM
I know this could technically be posted in the first gen section but I'm putting it here.

I need to know what is the widest wheel that can fit a first gen. Assuming if the wheel has a zero or negative offset cause that is the offset of the wheels I want to run. I don't want anything with a very large positive offset. I also assume because of limited space between the stock wheel and strut it would have to be a zero or very small positive offset to run anything much larger. I know the stock 13's are 5.5in wide. But how big can i go 6in? 7? I've tried searching online but have found nothing for first gens. Only thirds. Or stupid how big of a tire questions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: First gen wheel question
Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:23 PM
Measure the distance from the inside of the wheel lip to the strut and also measure from the outside wheel lip to the fender.
Then use THIS to figure out what you can run.

Assuming 1st gens and third gens are similar, you shouldn't have any problem running 9s with a +28ish offset.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:46 AM
i had 15x7 rallys on my 89 with 225/55r15 tires, and i also have 16x6 with 215/50r16s, no issues, 1st and 2nd gens are pretty much the exact same.... even the doors are the same, u wont have any probs, but anything more then a 225 wide WILL rub for sure

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:01 AM
http://www.v6z24.com/registry/cavalier3400z

Check out the pictures on the right. I have 255/45/17 on the car now. It depends on brand, rim, and how good your springs are. Mine barely rubbed on the back. Now the front I had to grind an area of about 1/16 of an inch off the front spring perch on the strut so they would not rub. Mine only rubbed when bottoming out the suspension. Since I put bags on, no rubbing since the suspension is stiffer. 245/45/17 did not rub for me after removing the mudflaps.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:07 AM
Mine I believe are 8in, I am not sure if you are looking at how wide of a rim or how wide of a tire on 6in? If it is How wide of a tire on 6in, it depends on brand but I believe 215 or 225 would be your max before you run into too much bubbling of the sidewall.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search