Weird Tire Pressure loss during long road trips....any thoughts on this? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Tire Pressure loss during long road trips....any thoughts on this?
Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:54 AM
I bought my Tiguan in March of 2016, brand new. I currently has the factory 16 inch wheels and tires.

I have had no issues with the tires except for 'long' road trips, this is what is happening:

1. During a 200 mile round trip day trip from Canton, GA to Chattanooga, TN...on the return trip my tire pressure warning light came on. I pulled over and checked the pressure and it was low in all 4 tires. I was able to get home and check for punctures or leaks and found none. I filled the tires up and they have held pressure. This trip was in July, 2017.

2. The second time this occurred was late September on the return trip from Florida. So no issues on the way down; we left her sitting at the port for 4 days, and then about 200 miles into the return trip the tire pressure warning light came on. I was again able to get home and let the tires cool off and sure enough I had lost about 7 lbs in each of the 4 tires. Again no punctures or leaks found.

I understand pressure can be lost in the tires after sitting and even over night if the weather changes to be cooler, but this was in summer and very hot conditions. Not only that it was no when I first started the car it was after several hours of driving.

Does anyone have any insight as to what may be the issue? I could understand 1 tire being bad but all 4 and at the same time? Maybe this is a good reason to upgrade the wheels and tires?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8858634-Weird-Tire-Pressure-loss-during-long-road-trips-any-thoughts-on-this&s=d14ecaa780a6b08cc2e4fef8eff683fb

animation video

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search