Directional tire ?? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Directional tire ??
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:18 PM
What actually happens if you run a directional tire the "wrong" direction??
I would think that it would just not get as good of traction since it was engineered to spin one way.
But I have heard everything from they wear faster to they get really good traction in mud.

Anyone know??

Did you know that the holes only natural enemy is the pile.

Re: Directional tire ??
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:45 PM
Well, tractors and such have directional tires as well. Alot of farmers that bring thier tractors and farm equipment in have us purposely moung the tire on backwards, because it gets hellacious grip in the mud/dirt.

I am not really sure what happens if you run it backwards, if anything at all.

1983 Camaro Z28
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:34 PM
I know that some directional tread tires are designed to have improved traction on wet roads. To run them backwards would negate that advantage and might even cause wet traction to be worse than with a conventional tread tire.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 4:11 AM
Lees04Cav wrote:I know that some directional tread tires are designed to have improved traction on wet roads. To run them backwards would negate that advantage and might even cause wet traction to be worse than with a conventional tread tire.

correct. when i had my car repainted, the shop decided to rotate the tires and put all 4 on backwards. well when it rains, the traction is horrible and you slide everywhere

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:00 AM
I would expect accelerated wear as well since the tread isn't moving in the direction it was engineered for. It will contact the road very differently than it was meant to and I would just expect it to wear faster.

Of course, the opposite could also be true. The big degradation in performance could improve life. Can never be too sure.

Just put them on the right way!

Friday, August 04, 2006 12:19 PM
my two back tires were on backwards, i drove like that for a month and didnt notice... i finally noticed when i was changing my oil... i called a tire place and they said i wouldnt even notice unless it was raining, but i dont drive my car in the rain so i dunno... my tires still looked brand new and still do...

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff
Monday, August 07, 2006 8:30 AM
mostly, it would just negate wet traction.

but, some tires can heat up alot faster if they are rotating in the wrong direction. when a tire heats up too much, thats not a good thing. this can cause blow outs.

like weasel said, just mount them right the first time, who really wants to be the one to find out what happens anyways?

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:19 PM
Well I just got some 18s and two of the tires are still good, but they are both drivers side tires. So I need 2 passenger side tires, the current tires are 215/35s and I wanna get a little more sidewall so i dont have to worry about denting the rim cause the 215/35s are about as tall as a rubberband. So I am gonna go with 2 225/40s.

I know that running two different tire heights on opposite sides is very bad, also they will be different tread patterns and i am sure that would cause some wierd traction issues too. So since 2 of the tires are still drivable I am going to put the bigger tires on the front and run the smaller ones on the back but to do that I have to run one backwards.

If it does cause hydroplaning its only one tire I will still have 3 that are getting good traction so I should be ok, right?

Since there is only a few months left of using these tires I don't want to go pay to have it flipped around, and I also don't wanna get 4 tires and just throw out 2 good tires. So I figured I would just use one backwards and see what happens if its wierd or wears out I will have to get 2 more tires but if it works for the rest of the year I will get 2 new tires next summer.

Did you know that the holes only natural enemy is the pile.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 11:14 PM
Straight from my sales training with Goodyear...

Running directional tires backward will cause accelerated tread wear, a loud/harsh ride, poor traction in all conditions, and can cause the tread to chunk if you're taking corners at more than a slow pace.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:01 PM
even though it came from good for a year, its still the truth.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:56 PM
whitegoose wrote:even though it came from good for a year, its still the truth.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Goodyear has very good tires, they have been the #1 racing tire for a while.

Only tire off the top of my head I can think of that we sell at Goodyear are the Wrangler RTS's, I always have problems with them bieng out of round.

1983 Camaro Z28

Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:36 PM
goodyear can make a really good tire, dont get me wrong. i just find that unless you are putting down alot of money, you arent getting one of the good ones from them.

alot of their tires, especially OEM application ones, are not that great. most of the ones i find dry out too quickly. the wrongler RTS and the eagle RSAs for example. the RSA's are usually only good for about 2 years and then alot of your wet traction is gone.

like i said, they can make a very good tire. most of the ones i have expirience with however are not the best examples of their good ones though.

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:56 AM
what do you consider expensive though? of course the better products cost more money.

Monday, August 14, 2006 10:57 PM
I don't even try to sell my customers RS-A's or RT/S's those are two very crappy tires... most of the Wrangler line (except for the MT/R, AT/S and the new Silentarmor) is crap. Also the RS-A is total crap -- especially for the price.

The Responsedge and Eagle F1 GS-D3 are the shieeet, though -- as well as the Tripletread (Fortera and Assurance -- I've driven on both).

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:31 AM
ive seen the trippl treads and have had a little exp with them, they arent too bad. im just a firm believer that there is no such thing as a tire that performs excelent in the dry baumy summer and excelent in the snow and ice of winter.

to me an all season tire is a bunch of horse @!#$, it doesnt exist.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:03 PM
whitegoose wrote:ive seen the trippl treads and have had a little exp with them, they arent too bad. im just a firm believer that there is no such thing as a tire that performs excelent in the dry baumy summer and excelent in the snow and ice of winter.

to me an all season tire is a bunch of horse @!#$, it doesnt exist.

Yeah, the Triple Treads are a great freaking tire, but I agree that all season is just BS. The idea behind the Triple Tread seems stupid to me. 1/3 of the tread for dry driving, 1/3 of the tread for ice and snow driving, 1/3 of the tread for rain driving. That just seems dumb, there is so little of the tread for the specific kind of driving that it can't have any actual function in snow and ice/.rainy weather.. of course they will be fine for dry driving, any tire would be.

But, they are quiet, high mileage, and wear great.. I think that's probably the reason most people get them. Although there are the people out there that believe that all season BS.

1983 Camaro Z28
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search