Duplicolor wheel paint - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Duplicolor wheel paint
Friday, October 03, 2008 8:23 AM
I\m getting ready to paint a set of 98 Z24 5 spoke rims. I got two cans of the Duplicolor satin black wheel paint. Anyone used this paint before and how did it come out looking? I dont have a show car or anything but I dont want them to look like crap either. So what ya got?

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto.

Re: Duplicolor wheel paint
Friday, October 03, 2008 8:44 AM
It's pretty decen't I have used it on a couple sets of wheels. I would recommend that you get the clear coat to go along with it for the extra protection.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, October 03, 2008 9:06 AM
Is the clear coat gloss or satin? Any pics of the wheels you have done? How crazy did you go sanding them first?

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto.
Friday, October 03, 2008 9:29 AM

mine were painted about a year and a half ago and still look good, black with clear over but it looks like the clear had worn off and they are a little dull, impack wrench had taken some chips of paint off. if u prep it really good it will last. i just scuffed them with about 320 grit they cleaned them this alcohol they primed and paint, follow the directions and it sould work out fine

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:07 AM
If you can score some satin or flat clear coat, definitely do it. Clear coat will protect your paint.

If you're going to rattle can them, just make sure you take your time, do some goo prep work, and warm your can in hot tap water for a slightly better spray pattern out of them. I'd recommend no lower than 400 grit for the scuff for a better finish with less coats.

It's all about prep and application that makes the difference.

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:19 AM
as a professional painter, let me tell you the the PREP job is more important the the PAINT job....A AWESOME well done paint job will look like TRASH if the prep is bad..

Friday, October 03, 2008 1:20 PM
side question here, but i have a set of cheap 17s with a polished face, and i was wondering what would be the best way
to prep the polished part thanks and sorry for the jackin

Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:19 PM
Here are the wheels i've done

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Sunday, October 05, 2008 8:31 PM
ive also used it on my wheels. i agree on the clear cot thing. BUT. i think the paint works great. ive heard that it has glass in it to help protect it and also to help etch to the surface. but i dont know. i like it tho. and have used it a couple times. and also. i agree with the person that said that prep is everything.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search