All I wanted to do is have a relaxing afternoon and put the summer tires on my car LOL - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
All I wanted to do is have a relaxing afternoon and put the summer tires on my car LOL
Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:33 PM
What should have took 15 minutes took 2 hours

We wheel everything out to the car, get the summer wheels (with the Potenza'a on them) staged by the car and all is going good until.

I go the put the "locking" lug nut back on the first wheel im doing and the key snaps.

Im thinking to myself, "great im royally screwed now" and when I started thinking about how it could of broke that easy and figured it out I got even more pissed. I had a wheel bearing replaced on the car a month ago because I just didnt have the time to do it myself and the kid working there HAD to of used an impact gun on it. The rest of the nuts where obviously impacted on. ANY good mechanic knows not to use an impact on a lug nut key for Christs sakes, but that HAD to be it. Im going to stop by and talk to the owner this week and find out for sure and tell him about it.

Pic of the car in the driveway (cell phone) I have no idea why the car looks like it was left in the microwave too long LOL, my phone is just getting old and the camera isnt as good as it used to be (hence the other thread). The headlight covers arnt on the car because it get driven at night every day but they'll go back on once I start riding my bike again.

So my dad and me (doing this at his house) are sitting there trying to figure out how to get the nuts off the car, and it hits us. We grab an ammo can full of old sockets and wheel the wire feed welder out to the car. The first few times the welds wouldn't hold and I was starting to worry, then I realized the weld where still hot, so we re welded it a 3rd time, grabbed a chunk of snow out of the yard to cool the welds, and let it sit for a few minutes, then it finally worked. We didnt have much problem with the rest after that.

This is the outcome (crappy cell pic again)

So now I have my summer wheels on the car but only 4 lug nuts per wheel. So I stop by wal mart (15 miles away) with only 12 lug nuts on the car to see if they have any (they are 12X1.5 in case anyone needs to know), and sure has hell all they have it a $25 set with the locks.. GRRRRRRRRRRR.... I only need 4 nuts (not gunna use the locks again) so I buy the damn things and take 4 of the regular lug nuts out of the pack, put them on the car in the parking lot and drive home. I figure at least I have spares now. Since im not going to use the locks, I'll give the locking nuts and key to any local guy that wants it. That is if you trust them, I sure as hell dont anymore.

Man this was a fun night.

Re: All I wanted to do is have a relaxing afternoon and put the summer tires on my car LOL
Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:51 PM
You have some luck

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to
me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Re: All I wanted to do is have a relaxing afternoon and put the summer tires on my car LOL
Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:52 PM
I had something like that happen. I had to replace a brake line and needed to take off the wheel. Well the Sunfire came from the factory with a wheel lock and apparently I misplaced it after doing whatever I had done to it before. So I am sitting there looking everywhere in the car and my tool chest and no luck. So @!#$ I was pissed. I then call a dealership and say hey do you guys have this and they say oh maybe we don't know. I eventually had to take it to the dealership and have them take off the nut so pissed I had to pay for that.

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:57 PM
Err... I use an impact wrench for all my lugnuts. I don't get why that's a big deal?

Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:05 PM
they were for locking lugs and needed a key. you should never use an impact with a locking lug nut key. if you do, it will bite you in the ass eventually.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:09 PM
randizzle wrote:they were for locking lugs and needed a key. you should never use an impact with a locking lug nut key. if you do, it will bite you in the ass eventually.

I wish someone would have told that to the person that worked on my car.. I've known that for years.

And yes if I didnt have bad luck I wouldnt have any at all LOL

Monday, March 15, 2010 9:43 AM
Spline drive wheel nuts all the way

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Monday, March 15, 2010 10:06 AM
slvrblit wrote:Spline drive wheel nuts all the way

That's what I use too, my rims aren't special or valuable enough for me to care that much, if someone wants to go through the effort of finding a spline drive key and taking them, whatever, that's why I have insurance.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:31 AM
The only reason I had them on my car was because there have been some thefts around.

I know there just LS sport wheels, but the tires are expensive, and people will steal anything now adays.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:45 PM
Id like to see someone use an impact gun on spline drives. Thatd get ugly.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:54 PM
Joe here at work did he didnt know better hilarity ensued

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:41 PM
I work at walmart TLE, and they would have given you new lugnuts for $2 a piece, instead of having to buy the kit.

I need to bring it up in the meeting we have soon, but we dont have any other way to take off lugnuts without an impact gun, our torque wrenches are one way. I always cringe when I have to take off locking nuts.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:49 PM
i broke the key on my truck like 3 times....using a hand wrench.Took the lock back to autozone and got a new one....everytime.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:38 AM
I guess I feel a little foolish saying I've never, ever had a problem with using an impact gun to take off tuner lugs. Spline drive keys, the star shaped ones that go in the center of the lug...never an issue, never a broken key. My Sunfire, Ryan's GP, our drift Mustang, my fiancee's GTP...we all run spline drive's. I use the gun to take them off and snug them on, and the digital torque wrench to tighten them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search