Boring out center of rims? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boring out center of rims?
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:20 PM
I got me a set of 16' inch wrx rims for my 03 sunfire off the local trade site and the rears fit great but the fronts won't stay tight and wobble and I was reading on here the bore on the center of the wrx wheels is smaller. Can the rims be modified to work or am I out of luck?

Re: Boring out center of rims?
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:53 PM
short answer, yes

long answer, I'm not gonna find a machine shop willing to do it for you in your area.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:28 PM
Maybe before u do that check to see if ur rims require the hub centric ring to keep things in place. Sometimes they fall off or just get worn

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:08 PM
Has anyone of you tried using KMC tires and rims? I'm planning to check out new rims.
Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:47 PM
J bodies have a 57.1mm hub bore front and rear. Subaru is 56.1mm so they technically won't fit without some "massaging" of the wheel hub bore diameter.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:42 PM
As roofy said, it's 1mm difference. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes by hand with some high grit sandpaper to remove enough for them to fit.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:59 PM
I'll check that out. Thank you for mentioning it!
Friday, June 23, 2017 4:38 AM
Diana roofy and I were talking to the op about subaru wheels on a jbody.

I'm not familiar with Kmc wheels but most aftermarket wheel companies have a larger hub bore (typically 73.1mm). You would want to run hubcentric rings to fill the void between the wheel bore and the hub on the car. I would suggest starting your own thread on here if you have a question that doesn't necessarily pertain to the original post. That way the information you get is geared towards your question and not somebody else's post.

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:48 PM
Agreed with Blue2000 regarding wrx wheels
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search